Kauai / Niihau diving summer 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquamanKauai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just another friendly reminder to those who may be lucky enough to be diving out here this summer.....

Niihau season has started and has been as amazing as ever! The monk seals are in mid season form and have returned in numbers a little earlier than in some of the previous seasons. Consistent spinner and rough toothed dolphin sightings are as usual but an unusual amount of bottlenose dolphins seem to be present early on this season. Clarity has been incredible and currents have been light for the most part.

As in seasons past I just want to extend my availability/help to anyone who may be visiting Kauai and looking to dive. Niihau is simply "NOT TO BE MISSED!" While it "can" be a little more on the advanced side, preparing divers with various experience is very possible and different companies have different philosophies and routines for diving out there. As you research you'll see that three quality operations run charters to Niihau and all are well respected and long established.

Should you be looking to stay local and do north shore lava tube dives at "Tunnels" , or diving from the shore or boats on the south side - I am more than happy to guide you with anything you need regardless of the company you may choose to dive with. I've been diving here for just over 15 years and have completed a little over 10,000 dives in Hawaiian waters, so if I may share some of my knowledge or guide you with making a choice/decisions about diving just send me a message. I can send you contact information for any of the dive operations you are interested in or have questions about. While I work for Fathom Five I am in close contact and good friends with just about everyone in the dive industry here.

Hope you will be headed to the islands for some fantastic summer diving!

Best of ocean wishes as always
A

We are coming July 9. Hope you can dive with us. :)

P.S. You took us on our most memorable Hawaii dive ever: Niihau arches to the express current past the soft coral garden. Heard this dive isn't really possible anymore, I hope whoever said that is wrong.

Just another friendly reminder to those who may be lucky enough to be diving out here this summer.....

Niihau season has started and has been as amazing as ever! The monk seals are in mid season form and have returned in numbers a little earlier than in some of the previous seasons. Consistent spinner and rough toothed dolphin sightings are as usual but an unusual amount of bottlenose dolphins seem to be present early on this season. Clarity has been incredible and currents have been light for the most part.

As in seasons past I just want to extend my availability/help to anyone who may be visiting Kauai and looking to dive. Niihau is simply "NOT TO BE MISSED!" While it "can" be a little more on the advanced side, preparing divers with various experience is very possible and different companies have different philosophies and routines for diving out there. As you research you'll see that three quality operations run charters to Niihau and all are well respected and long established.

Should you be looking to stay local and do north shore lava tube dives at "Tunnels" , or diving from the shore or boats on the south side - I am more than happy to guide you with anything you need regardless of the company you may choose to dive with. I've been diving here for just over 15 years and have completed a little over 10,000 dives in Hawaiian waters, so if I may share some of my knowledge or guide you with making a choice/decisions about diving just send me a message. I can send you contact information for any of the dive operations you are interested in or have questions about. While I work for Fathom Five I am in close contact and good friends with just about everyone in the dive industry here.

A

Wow, what a great sentiment to see! It's rare to see a professional offer so much outside of their workplace.

I'll be in Kauai this weekend and all next week and I'd love to do some diving. I'll be in touch..

A

Anyone running trips there likely to be willing to accommodate a CCR diver on a scooter? I'm tempted to fly over before the season ends.

Wow what a generous offer! thank you. If I may take you up on that?

A group of us that live on Oahu have a race sailing from here to Kauai Aug 1. Most (maybe all) of us are advanced divers and were thinking about sailing over to Ni'ihau for a few days of diving and camping on the boat. None of us have dived over there and it is my understanding that the currents are generally quite strong and would need to be done as drift dives. I prefer to err on the side of caution. How bad are the currents really? Of course we will always check for ourselves before any dive but, I'm hoping to get a better feel for it all. Someone will be on the boat at all times and a couple people in our group are just snorkeling. (Yes, I have Franko's Dive Kauai map) Any suggestions? are we crazy?

Mahalo

Hi,
thanks for the info. I will be visiting Kauai in late September and was wondering if that is too late in the season to dive Ni'ihau. If it is still possible, what dive operators offer trips during the week?

Mahalo

AquamanKauai, I've attempted to send you a few privet messages in response to your message to me, but I don't think that they are getting to you. Please PM me so we can make arrangements to dive. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom