Diving Big Island - Hilo side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
We have an opportunity to stay at a friend's condo in Hilo "anytime we want". GREAT offer! But is there any diving on the east side? maybe there's some boats that go offshore? Any suggested operators? We have all our own equipment.

We are medium-skilled, not advanced, divers.

We have been to the island quite a few times and are familiar with what we can do topside.

Thanks,

Bill

Nautilus has been there for decades. Never dove with them but I was there once in the mid-90's. Nautilus Dive Center in Hilo, Hawaii

I don't think anybody has a boat on that side. Some friends who lived north of Hilo drove over to the west side for boat dives. It's my impression that Hilo dives are considerably rougher at times. Especially the farther north you go. Surfline models swell patterns for NE Hilo - I doubt that's good diving.

This one looks like a kayak shop with diving. https://www.facebook.com/pages/SUN-AND-SEA-HAWAII/173973434547 IDK anything about them, just a google hit.

But is there any diving on the east side? maybe there's some boats that go offshore? Any suggested operators? We have all our own equipment.

Aloha Bill,

I live in Hilo too. There are a couple good spots on Hilo side, my favorite is Leileiwi. It's a terrible place if you don't like sea turtles, I've seen as many as 20 on a single dive :wink:. Puhi Bay is another popular one, super easy access, almost always dive-able. Puhi is more sheltered so I see more baby turtles cruising in there. Richardson's Beach is another good one, I do most of my deep dives there (about 190ft). It get's surf so can be hard to get out past the break and there can be some strong current. But outside of the protected inlet you can find 70ft easy and again lots of turtles!

Aside from Hilo you can also dive South Point if conditions allow, it's about an hour drive or so. Definitely a more complicated dive as you need to lower your gear in via rope and enter by ladder. I haven't been able to dive it yet because it's hard to catch it on a "perfect" day.

Hilo Ocean Adventures would be my recommended dive shop. Kevin (who owns HOA) is actually looking into getting a dive boat so there is a chance they might have that up and running by the time you come over! I'll shoot you a PM with my more detailed opinion of the dive shops. Let me know if you have any questions!

TP

---------- Post added June 6th, 2014 at 01:28 AM ----------

Here is a video I did a while back at Leileiwi. It's not uncommon to see big schools of surgeon fish and sea turtles!
[video=youtube;mI--oH0I3lw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI--oH0I3lw[/video]

There was a Hilo dive club...not sure how active they are as the facebook page has been quiet for a while.
I think Sun and Sea was the force behind it.

Sun and Sea has also posted on their Facebook page that they are looking to sell the shop.

Hilo Dive Club

Back
Top Bottom