DPV(scooter) in Kealakekua Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone ever try renting a scooter to dive or snorkel in Kealakekua Bay? try scootering towards the Capt Cook monuement?

Does anyone know if scooters disturb dolphins or have any expereince using a DPV around dolphins?

I am also curious to hear how bothersome it is to dive/snorkel while hanging on to a kayak by a rope or line near the monument.

thanks for your suggestions

I scootered a bunch in that area, both north and south of but not in Kealakekua Bay. I had great interactions with dolphins, manta rays, spotted eagle rays and reef fish.

Some of the Kona shore dive spots are perfect for scooters. I highly recommend them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I scootered a bunch in that area, both north and south of but not in Kealakekua Bay. I had great interactions with dolphins, manta rays, spotted eagle rays and reef fish.

Some of the Kona shore dive spots are perfect for scooters. I highly recommend them

That sounds encouraging, did you rent locally? any recommendations to rent from?

Sorry. I brought my Genesis 600 from the mainland and dove with locals who had X-Scooters.

I have no experience renting scooters.

I have had an awesome scooter dive with 13 dolphins in Maui. They actually liked the scooters a lot and stayed really close to us for over 25 minutes. It was amazing. I own 6 scooters but I dont know anyone who rents them. I would imagine the risk is too jigh for most dive operators.

Greg Walker
Maui Scooter Divers
www.mauiscooterdivers.com

When I was last there, there was a moratorium on kayaking to that area. You might want to check if that's lifted or if you can get a permit.

Do a search for Kona scooter diving in YouTube for what it looks like. (One even has me scootering at Mahukona.)

if you go with a kayak, get the two seater, we scootered across the bay with the kayak in tow,....got to the monument, chilled out on cough cough...land, dove the ledge, paddled back. you can rent a power boat in kona and he had tanks, but wanted to scoot across the bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom