Tiger Shark checking out Maui Scooter Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome. Thanks for posting!

Strange, it has been many years since I've seen a Tiger on a dive. There are plenty here on the Big Island, and I'm sure they are "present" on some of the dives I do, but not in visual range, or I am looking the wrong way when they cruise past on the fringes of visibility. The only time I've seen them in recent years has been from canoes, boats, surfski's and OC-1's. It is "exciting" to be paddling outside the Hilo breakwall and have a large fin pop up next to your OC-1... :shocked2::shocked2:

Best wishes.

Wonder what chomped its dorsal fin...

Wonder what chomped its dorsal fin...

I was wonder the same. Maybe it was watching the new Aquatic version of 50 Shades of Blue and got caught up in the action.
:hm:

A few hours later I dove there too. Someone told me about this same shark with the damaged dorsal fin. Conditions were great, clear, sunny, and calm. When I got to the sand cave I saw three white tip sharks snoozing away the day. As I got closer I spotted a large female turtle planted in he middle of the sharks. There was something odd about her. I could see an unusual white half-circle scrape on her shell. I turned my flashlight on and had a better view. This was clearly a very fresh bite mark from a shark! The shell was sort of peeling away and had a lot of small, loose pieces. I used my left hand for comparison and with my fingers fully outstretched it fit inside the bite with about an inch on all sides. I then checked the belly and noticed the seam or edge between top and bottom was cracked about an inch or two. The underside had scrape marks but not as bad as the top shell. Moving around the back I got a good look at her flippers. The rear left flipper looked pretty good but she was torn open at her "pelvis" area and she was bleeding, although not too bad. The left side of her shell also had a bite mark but looked less severe than the right side. There's no doubt in my mind that she will recover. I would say she got pretty lucky today!

I'll post the photo after I download it in the morning. The video above is impressive. The tiger sure did come close. It's been a long time since I've seen one too. Today would have been a good day for a tiger encounter... A lot better than meeting up with one in murky conditions!!

Thanks for posting the video. Was this shark reported to DLNR? There were a lot of snorkelers and divers in the area all day. There is a number to call when you see one. I'll try to put that up too just in case he comes around again!

When I was in Oahu recently I saw a large Tiger and it's dorsal fin had damage on the trailing edge. Was also told this was a somewhat unusual sighting. Nice video.

Sent from my iP

Wow Greg, what a great encounter and video to commemorate it! Doug, glad the turtle is okay, but sad that she's hurt. Guess that's the way or nature though....eat or be eaten. Makena is by far our favorite shore diving site, though we've not seen anything more impressive than a white tip as far as sharks go. :wink:

Wow. I've dived and snorkeled here countless times...rather glad I've never had a similar encounter. Once got a shot of a turtle with a large half-moon chunk and missing back flipper. It looked like an old wound and the turtle appeared to be doing well.

I dove there last week... we had 3' visibility during that portion of the dive. Really glad we didn't run across that fella with vis that bad!

Great video, cant wait to get back there. Leaving august 26th and staying for 24 nights. Scooters here I come.

Back
Top Bottom