Maui dive suggestions? Looking for something new.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy all,

Off to Maui in October, and looking for suggestions for diving. I'm staying in the Ka'anapali area which does limit my range of options a bit since I am not a fan of long drives while in Maui (I get enough of that for work). Additionally, I am looking for something 'new'. I've done the following sites so many times, I'd prefer to do something different: Lana'i, Molokini/Backwall, Carthaginian, Ka'anapali Beach/Black Rock, Mala Wharf, and Airport Beach.

Appreciate recommendations!

Call Greg at Maui Scooter Divers. Although he mostly does south Maui diving, he also goes to the leeward side of the island for some cool dives. It would involve a drive (obviously), but perhaps would be worth it to you.

Thanks Divemaven! Paco II checkout the video I just posted yesterday on our FB page for Maui Scooter DIvers. I know you dont want to drive too far but if you havent been to the north shore you have to try a scooter dive at Maliko Gulch. I guarantee you will be hooked.

---------- Post added August 21st, 2014 at 05:37 PM ----------

[video=vimeo;103963286]https://vimeo.com/103963286[/video]

Check it out!

Oops, never mind.

Last edited:
Was it worth it? I've heard stories of people seeing about half a hammerhead, at a distance, the entire trip.
I haven't done it. I did see a post once where someone saw about a dozen. We dive with them off Mexico and they are extremely skittish. Usually have to hug the bottom and sneak up on them. Off Molokai I don't think that's possible - it's bluewater diving.

We did do the West Lana'i drift with Lahaina. Dove Sharkfin Rock - that's an e-ticket ride around the outside. It's all you can do to hang on and hug the bottom - or let go and ride the drift - yet 20' away there's 1000's of Tangs and Moorish idols hovering in the current. And white tips cruising around the edges of the schools. Our DM estimated there were 500 or so Moorish Idols - I thought the tang school was bigger.

A friend of ours is often the captain with Lahaina Divers that goes to Moloka'i and he says it's either feast or famine with the Hammerheads. Sometimes its one or none, other times it can be 20+.

I totally get the desire to dive different places and have new adventures, but frankly I'm one of those people that could dive a site like Mala multiple times a week and never get tired of it. We dive Makena Landing multiple times each trip to Maui and always look forward to going back...same with Ulua.

It's not so much that I won't dive the sites I listed again, because let's be honest, it's Maui and they are all gorgeous :) , but more about trying to find out about sites/trips that I may not even know about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom