Oahu Nov 27 - Dec 3.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PT4476

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I’ll be on Oahu from Nov. 27 until Dec 3. I’d like to do some diving but I have a few questions:
Where to stay? I’ve been to Maui and enjoyed staying in Kaanapali and Napili, particularly Napili, pretty laid-back, non-glitzy place. Does anywhere on Oahu have a similar vibe? That leads me to my next question, which dive operators are recommended? Hawaiian Diving Adventures and Kaimana Divers both have been recommended in previous posts here but I notice they're both in the Waikiki-Honolulu area, that might not work out so well with my laid-back accommodation plans… It’s a short visit though (I’m taking a short Hawaii break on the way back to the great white north form Truk) so I might have to compromise. One last question, I’ll have my doubles wing, regs. etc. with me, is it possible to rent doubles on Oahu? Not looking to do deco. dives, I’d like to use my own gear though, luggage weight will be an issue and I’d rather not pack an STA and single wing.

Thanks

Paul

For lodging, we like to stay on the North Shore. Much different vibe than in Waikiki. About a 45 minute drive to town from the North Shore, depending on traffic.
Kailua is also more laid back but with more infrastructure.

I'm not sure about the doubles. Check with Surf n Sea or Deep Ecology in Haleiwa...we have done many dives with both ops and have been pleased.

Just got back from Oahu and, like you, I prefer laid back locales. We stayed in Haliewa on the North shore in a beach house through VRBO and had a wonderful time. Definitely the laid back island vibe we love. I did an afternoon charter with Kaimana divers. I wholeheartedly recommend them as well. Awesome staff and small boat so they can pretty much cater to your needs/wants. Driving into Waikiki for the afternooncharter took about 40 minutes and was a piece of cake. We also did a Hanauma Bay dive with Living Ocean and they were great but the boat dives were far better viz and lots more to see. It's difficult to dive the North Shore in the winter due to surf conditions so if you go with a North Shore dive op you're likely in for a long boat ride to the dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom