Big Island - Waikoloa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i<3turtles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing well. My husband and I are visiting the big island in early December, staying in Waikoloa (Expedia had a great deal, even though we probably would have preferred Kona). :)

We're planning to dive around Waikoloa but will be renting a car, so we're willing to make a trip south to Kona for a day or two to try out the diving there, if you guys think that is worthwhile (let me know).

For those of you who have been to Waikoloa, any suggestions of dive operators? Any dive sites or shops within driving distance of that area that we shouldn't miss?

In addition to diving suggestions, we're also open to restaurant suggestions, beaches to visit, and other activities!! I am actually pregnant, so I'll have to tag along and snorkel or relax this time around while the hubby gets to dive (so jealous!!!).

Thank you so much in advance!! This is our first visit to Hawaii so we are pretty clueless :)

Kind regards,

I<3Turtles

I did my first ever ocean dives with Kona Diving Company. They were great for the manta night dive, which I'm sure you're planning and was amazing. Set a standard I've been trying to find again ever since, which hasn't happened yet.

For general Hawaii travel, the Big Island Revealed is an excellent in depth resource. I'm quite active on some travel forums more than here, and it is by far the most recommended book for Hawaii travel tips. Very good recommendations for snorkeling, food, beaches, with directions how to get there and so forth.

The volcano is pretty cool. Some neat hikes around, even some shorter ones for those unable to handle too much sun or walking etc. At night there is a community near highway 130 where the road ends into the lava. You can walk out a ways and see the glow quite a bit closer than up at the crater, although crater is cool too. The book gives directions, or if you're interested let me know I can try to find more details - been awhile. Or maybe someone on here knows what I'm talking about. I am hoping for a helicopter tour of the lava next time, as I'd like to see it a bit closer.

Black sand beach near Punaluu was kind of cool for me. 7 or 8 sea turtles napping in the sand when I was there. Saw several turtles right in the rocky area where you are staying too though, in the little tide pools. Some of the better beaches are often the beaten path and recommend having a 4x4 to go there, and rental companies and insurance don't foot the bill if you go off-road in a car not meant for it and get damaged since it's against T&C. In general not the best roads to the south, be careful driving.

The peak observatory area is cool, go there first thing in the morning your first day so you don't have to worry about elevation. Also in the afternoon it often clouds up.

Waikoloa is a "resort" area.

There are no dive operators located there.

Have a look at Big Island Divers and Pacific Rim Divers also.

Edit: The following posts definitely prove me wrong about operators at Waikoloa. My apologies!

Last edited:
Actually there are nearby...

Walkaloa Coast Divers and Kohala Divers. Waikoloa moors in A-Bay - by the Hilton.
Kohala Divers also does snorkel trips. Their boat is in Kawaihae Harbor across from their shop.

Big Island Hawaii Diving on the Kona Kohala Coast with Waikoloa Divers
Kohala Divers

There's a third also but they're sort of a combo dive/fishing/kayak/beach toys sort of place. Can't remember the name.

I also recommend Kona Diving Co. if you want to drive down. You'll have to for the Manta Night Dive - no one does that from the Waikoloa area. BTW you can snorkel above it also - some people say it's better since they hang lights down as well as up so the Manta's come to the surface. My niece/friend did that while her dad dove.

There's a couple of dive sites in that area also - near Puako. http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/index.htm Some of the sites are long carries from the road though. You can also snorkel with turtles at Kahuluu Beach park south of Kona. Don't bother bringing dive gear - it's 7' deep forever. Try not to step on a turtle...:D

Don't drive inland after diving, the road climbs to over 4000'. Staying along the shoreline north/south won't be an issue.

Non-dive day go see the Volcano erupt - it's pretty active now - it's been in the news that the lava flow is about to wipe out a small town nearby. http://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm

The Helicopter tours are a fairly expensive way to see parts of the island you can't otherwise. We used Blue Hawaiian for no reason.

Roy's is a very good to exceptional meal - priced accordingly. http://www.royshawaii.com/

Last edited:
Thanks.

I will take a look when I'm there next week.

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing well. My husband and I are visiting the big island in early December, staying in Waikoloa (Expedia had a great deal, even though we probably would have preferred Kona). :)

We're planning to dive around Waikoloa but will be renting a car, so we're willing to make a trip south to Kona for a day or two to try out the diving there, if you guys think that is worthwhile (let me know).

For those of you who have been to Waikoloa, any suggestions of dive operators? Any dive sites or shops within driving distance of that area that we shouldn't miss?

In addition to diving suggestions, we're also open to restaurant suggestions, beaches to visit, and other activities!! I am actually pregnant, so I'll have to tag along and snorkel or relax this time around while the hubby gets to dive (so jealous!!!).

Thank you so much in advance!! This is our first visit to Hawaii so we are pretty clueless :)

Kind regards,

I<3Turtles

You may want to try Kohala Divers. Kohala Divers

I've heard good things about them, and have been into their shop a couple times just to check it out. I primarily shore dive, and live in Hilo, so I have not gone out with Kohala Divers, but they are located fairly close to where you will be staying (about a 15 minute drive or so), and run up to dive sites to the north.

Kona is really not that far a drive from where you will be staying, depending on traffic. You could easily do all of your boat diving with one of the Kona operations such as Jack's Diving Locker, and just drive to and from Kona.

There is terrific shore diving all along that coast... Puako is one of my favorite locations on that side of the island, and is maybe 15 minutes away from Waikoloa.

Enjoy your trip!

Edit: Ooops! Just notice that Kohala Divers was already mentioned.

Actually right in Waikoloa village there is Blue Wilderness diving, I did 4 dives with them in August, small boat (aka small group) and really enjoyable dives. They will let you dive up to 70 minutes per dive. You meet at Puako harbour which is 10 minutes away.

Goodness, my apologies for my misleading Post.

I obviosly did not look very well when I was there last in March.

I will certainly check these places out when I get there next week. No diving for medical reasons, but I will check them out for next Spring.

Thanks so much for this great advice everyone!! I've ordered the book - Big Island Revealed- didn't realize it existed. Really appreciate the input. Looking forward to our trip. Happy diving :)

Big Island Revealed is also available as an iPhone or iPad app.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom