3mm or 5mm next week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We heading to Kona Sun and was wondering what is the going census for wetsuits. I have a 3mm & 5mm but only want to take 1. Do you think the 3mm full will be good with a hood or should I just take the 5mm?

The water should be 76-77 degrees. That should help you decide what exposure protection you need. Everyone has different cold tolerance, so what I wear won't necessarily be what you need.

Don't forget to bring a boat coat or something warm to wear during the surface intervals when boat diving. If it's overcast and/or breezy, it can be pretty cold.

The water should be 76-77 degrees. That should help you decide what exposure protection you need. Everyone has different cold tolerance, so what I wear won't necessarily be what you need.

Don't forget to bring a boat coat or something warm to wear during the surface intervals when boat diving. If it's overcast and/or breezy, it can be pretty cold.

interesting... Everyone I speak to say 79-80?

My log book says 77 pretty consistently for the past 3 Thanksgiving trips, with 76 noted a couple of times. However B&B scuba is reporting 79 degrees this week, and 80 degrees as of just a couple of weeks ago. Its been a warm year I guess.

For me mid 70's is a 3MM long.. Low 70's to mid 60's I switch to 5MM.. Your tolerance might be different. If you're the type that gets cold easy, maybe taking the 5MM would be the safe thing to do..

Guys up in Minnesota are probably okay with nothing until it gets into the 50's :)

As the others have said, tolerance to cold varies from person to person. Since you are unsure, or you wouldn't have asked :) ,
I'd suggest taking the 5mm, as you can always let some water in at the neck if you are too warm. But if you take the 3mm and are cold ???
Either way, enjoy your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom