"Pelagic Magic - A Journey into Inner Space"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soundfield

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
“Pelagic Magic - A Journey into Inner Space”. I’ve been a recreational diver for the past 20 years, and over those years I’ve visited many reefs, walls, shipwrecks, dove with manta rays, dolphins and swam with numerous shark species both in the daytime and in the darkness of the night. This year, I wanted to try a different kind of scuba dive, one that would be “different from the norm”. I found just such a dive off the Kona coast of Hawaii called a “Black Water Pelagic Dive”. As many divers do, I first investigated this dive on the internet in an effort to gain more knowledge about what a dive like this was like to experience. Although I did find some helpful information, after making the dive myself, I found that most of the information I found on the internet left me a bit unsatisfied; I wanted a more in-depth look into this unique night dive. So, after I returned from Hawaii I put together a short video entitled “Pelagic Magic – A Journey into Inner Space”. In this video, I include a small portion of the pre-dive briefing. Before we got anywhere near a dive boat, myself along with 5 other lucky divers met at Jack’s Diving Locker for “Night School”. This was not just a dive briefing; it was an in-depth “education”. The class lasted about an hour; it was a fascinating class and kept my attention the entire hour. In my research prior to the dive, I read that this is a very “spooky and scary” dive and is not for everyone. This was also reiterated by the dive staff as well upon my arrival to the Kona coast. Although the Pelagic Magic night dive is a “staff favorite” of Jack’s Diving Locker, some of the staff would not go on this dive because it “freaks them out”. I will admit, after listening to this, I began to have some apprehension and uneasiness about deciding to make this dive. Just before we were about to jump into the black water, we were told that “if you get freaked out, don’t be ashamed to come back aboard the boat, it happens all the time”. I was the first diver on the boat to get my BCD clipped onto the safety tethering system that would keep me safe from drifting off into the 4,000 (plus) deep dark abyss. As a visual reference of depth is nonexistent when looking down at over 4000ft of water in the dark of night, I kept a close watch on my depth gauge until I realized that I could use the weighted down-line as a visual reference. Just be sure not to spin yourself around too much or else you may become tangled in the ropes. The DM’s on the dive are watching to make sure that doesn’t happen, and if it does, they will be there to help untangle you from the safety line. Once I leveled my buoyancy off at about 45 feet, I let my eyes adjust to the darkness and within a minute I began to notice strange creatures floating past me in the currant. I was about to whiteness an underwater world that was so completely alien to me and this is were it became “magical”. After using all of my allotted dive time, I surfaced and the only thing I could say was “WOW, I had no idea that was all going on down there in the dark. I can understand how some divers climb back on the dive boat and say “no way”. My wife and I personally felt that the experience can best be described as one of solitude, peacefulness, wonder and mystery. I would recommend this dive to any experienced diver looking for something different from the norm. There are a few dive operators in Kona that make this “Black Water Pelagic” dive, so if you do not want to use Jack’s, you do have other options. I personally find Jack’s Diving Locker to be one of the best dive operators that I’ve ever used over the past 20 years travelling the world. They have it dialed to a science, the staff is top notch and I just can’t say enough good things about Jack’s. The Pink Floyd being played on the dive boat stereo and the hot shower after the dive was the icing on the cake!
http://youtu.be/qnKW4sZ4_ZA

Enjoy!

Adam D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom