What is the bottom line on Ni'ihau? Is it really THAT good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qwimjim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm debating between a trip end of March/early April, but realize that this means that it will likely not be possible to get out to Ni'ihau, and even if we did the Monk seals don't come around until May?

I could postpone the trip until the end of May, but frankly it would be just to be able to dive Ni'ihau. Now I keep reading how it's one of the best, if not the best dives in the Hawaiian islands and a few people saying it is amazing and can't miss dive. But I've also read a couple of trip reports of people saying it was a great dive but very over hyped and that it may well be one of the best dives you can do in Hawaii but that's not saying much because diving in Hawaii is nice but nothing to write home about.

Soooo.. which is it? :)

And with regards to Kauai diving, which is better, south side in the winter (Sheraton Caverns, Koloa Landing) or north side in the summer (Tunnels Reef)? I don't know if those are the best dive sites but they're definitely the ones I see mentioned the most. And finally has anyone done Lanai Cathedrals from Mauai? How does it compare to the topography dives around Kauai? Thanks!

1) Now I keep reading how it's one of the best, if not the best dives in the Hawaiian islands and a few people saying it is amazing and can't miss dive. But I've also read a couple of trip reports of people saying it was a great dive but very over hyped and that it may well be one of the best dives you can do in Hawaii but that's not saying much because diving in Hawaii is nice but nothing to write home about. Soooo.. which is it? :)

2) And with regards to Kauai diving, which is better, south side in the winter (Sheraton Caverns, Koloa Landing) or north side in the summer (Tunnels Reef)?

3) And finally has anyone done Lanai Cathedrals from Mauai? How does it compare to the topography dives around Kauai? Thanks!

Here are some thoughts on these three areas:

1) "Diving Niihau" is almost never actually diving at Niihau, a private island. Instead, the trips take you to Lehua, a crescent shaped volcanic islet near Niihau. Whether it is all it is hyped up to be is always a matter of opinion, preference, conditions, cast of the day, etc. Trips to Lehua are canceled more frequently than the average dive trip based on the distance to travel and exposure to open ocean conditions in the middle of the Pacific. On one trip I tried 4 times-got skunked. When conditions allow the trip, some folks are put off by the frequently challenging boat crossing (worst on the way back). Once there, the visibility averages 80' to 100' or more but can be down to 30' at times. The sheer drop offs and larger life such as sharks, monk seals, mantas and ocassional whale sightings in winter can be absolutely spectacular, fish variety is very good, other vertibrates and invertibrates as variable as anywhere. Most days the diving there would be considered intermediate to advanced and divers should be equipped with all prudent safety tools ie knife, light, auditory signalling device, inflatable surface marker, signal mirror, and perhaps a nautilus gps locator/radio. Getting lost isn't planned/expected/ or common but with the remoteness of the site without these tools... well, you get the idea.

2) Tunnels is renowned for the unique topography and turtles. The arches and swim throughs are interesting ( though almost devoid of coral) and the fish life is sometimes abundant. The coral is less abundent-significantly less abundant than the South shore. South shore areas have more coral than the Tunnels dives, they also have turtles, rays, abundant fish and invertibrates. Either South or North can be made undiveable by seasonal swells. Swells can wrap the island and effect all shores sometimes. Keep in mind, North shores on Kauai get rain most days for part of the day, usually more overnight but morning and afternoon showers are common. South shore areas would be desert like without the irrigation of development meaning it is almost constant sun.

3) Lanai Cathedrals is two seperate dives. Usually you will get one or the other depending on other boats present, prevailing conditions, captains choice. The 2nd dive will usually be elsewhere on Lanai. The topography and contour is quite unique and interesting. You must be comfortable entering a space with very limited exits. You will be guided but will enjoy it more if you bring your own bright light as well. You can light up the chimneys where the lobsters, eels, crabs, corals, etc are in dark spaces. Once outside of the "cathedral" you will have a reef to explore with more color. Second sight dives at Lanai are often more "fishy" than almost any other dive with the exception of Lehua. The limited development of Lanai and slightly less traffic in the ocean in general keep many of the reefs healthier.

Finally, some love diving in Hawaii with frequent sightings of larger marine animals and numerous accessible beach dives that rival boat dives. Some divers take the time to discover the incredible diversity of marine life canouflaged in and around the coral and lava. Some hate it because almost all the coral is hard coral, no flowing gorgonia or sea fans, and duller color than the Caribbean, South Pacific, and Red Sea and with temperate waters generally between 72 and 80 degrees.

Come with an open mind and go with a guide, even when going on shore dives. You will see more than twice what you would see on your own (not selling, just telling you what I have learned over 20 yrs). It takes years to develop your mind and eye to spot many of our most unique critters. Don't worry if the viz is 30 feet or 100 feet. most times you will see things within inches or 15 feet of you. Some of our highlights: Turtles, dolphins, whales (Jan-Mar), mantas, eagle rays, lionfish of two varieties (they are native here-please do not remove them), frogfish, about 30 different species of eels-usually see 3 to 6 on any given dive, Triton's trumpet snail, Helmet conch, day and night octopus, rarely seahorses, nudibranchs of all kinds and sizes, 100lb + jacks, reef sharks, Galapagos sharks, hammerhead sharks, plate, pilar, rice, lobe, encrusting, razor, and other corals, 5 species of lobster, hundreds of species of crabs and shrimp, planktonic creatures of all kinds.

Winter temps average 70 to 75 degrees and most folks are more confortable in a 3 or 5 mm full suit. Keep in mind a shore dive may last more than an hour in 40' or less. Summer temps average 78 to 80 degrees. Some dive in shorties but most still prefer a full polar fleece or 2 to 3 mm suit.

Pick your preference and have fun!

I have a theory that a major portion of our judgment of an experience is determined by a comparison with our expectations of it. Oscar Wilde supposedly said that Niagara Falls, a common honeymoon site in those days, was a bride's second biggest disappointment. It was certainly a disappointment for me the first time I went there. I was expecting something much more magnificent. The second time I was in the area, I didn't want to bother, but we had children, so I went there anyway, not expecting much. This time I was truly impressed. The falls were the same. The only difference was the expectations I had going in. I believe that if you expect something to be spectacular and it turns out to be merely pretty darn good, your overall feeling might be disappointment, and you will not think much of it. If you go in expecting it to be not much at all and it turns out to be pretty decent, you will be pleasantly surprised and think much more highly of it.

When I went to Ni'ihau, We had an incredibly smooth crossing--it was like a calm lake. I had three very nice dives led well by the dive operation (Bubble Below). I wrote a very positive trip report that can probably be found with a search of this forum.

If I had to be as objective as I possibly could about it and place it in a hierarchy of the places I have visited in my diving career, it would not be near the top of the list. But then, none of my dives in Hawai'i (Big Island, Maui, Kauai) would be near the top of the list. I have been to some pretty nice places, though, so the area has some tough competition.

Speaking as objectively as I can, it is a very nice dive site that offers opportunities to see some pretty cool stuff you won't find in other places. Don't expect it to knock your socks off and you will enjoy yourself very much. If I were to return to dive Kauai again, I would make the trip Ni'ihau.

I have a theory that a major portion of our judgment of an experience is determined by a comparison with our expectations of it. Oscar Wilde supposedly said that Niagara Falls, a common honeymoon site in those days, was a bride's second biggest disappointment. It was certainly a disappointment for me the first time I went there. I was expecting something much more magnificent. The second time I was in the area, I didn't want to bother, but we had children, so I went there anyway, not expecting much. This time I was truly impressed. The falls were the same. The only difference was the expectations I had going in. I believe that if you expect something to be spectacular and it turns out to be merely pretty darn good, your overall feeling might be disappointment, and you will not think much of it. If you go in expecting it to be not much at all and it turns out to be pretty decent, you will be pleasantly surprised and think much more highly of it.

When I went to Ni'ihau, We had an incredibly smooth crossing--it was like a calm lake. I had three very nice dives led well by the dive operation (Bubble Below). I wrote a very positive trip report that can probably be found with a search of this forum.

If I had to be as objective as I possibly could about it and place it in a hierarchy of the places I have visited in my diving career, it would not be near the top of the list. But then, none of my dives in Hawai'i (Big Island, Maui, Kauai) would be near the top of the list. I have been to some pretty nice places, though, so the area has some tough competition.

Speaking as objectively as I can, it is a very nice dive site that offers opportunities to see some pretty cool stuff you won't find in other places. Don't expect it to knock your socks off and you will enjoy yourself very much. If I were to return to dive Kauai again, I would make the trip Ni'ihau.

Thanks, so basically we're planning on doing the manta dive and pelagic magic dive on the big island with a couple of days of shore diving, on Maui molokini outer wall and lanai cathedrals, and then a day of north or south shore diving on kauai depending on what time of the year we get there.

In the past I've dove in Cozumel and Grand Cayman and Zanzibar. I enjoyed them all but wasn't blown away by any of it, but I had a few really nice dives. So with all that said, in your opinion, do you think Ni'ihau is that much better than the dives we have planned in Hawaii that it would warrant delaying our trip until May just so that we could dive it? It would be the only reason to go in late May vs late march/early april.

I can only address the second part of your question. Kauai diving in my limited experience is a poor second to Kona and Maui. I'd spend more days shore diving in Kona or boat diving in Maui. We did see monk seals in Kauai but if you have seals at home that is not a huge plus. "Kona" diving really extends quite a bit north and south of Kailua-Kona proper.

Not to threadjack, but is Cathedrals an advanced dive?

I can only address the second part of your question. Kauai diving in my limited experience is a poor second to Kona and Maui. I'd spend more days shore diving in Kona or boat diving in Maui. We did see monk seals in Kauai but if you have seals at home that is not a huge plus. "Kona" diving really extends quite a bit north and south of Kailua-Kona proper.

Thanks, and I assume when you say Kauai diving you don't mean Niihau? Any dives that you recommend in Maui? The one's I see mentioned all the time are the Molokini outer wall, Lanai cathedrals, and Molokini hammerhead dive but don't hear about much of anything else. I'm looking forward to doing some shore diving on the Big Island, we will likely split our time between Kona and one of the Kailua resorts.

In the past I've dove in Cozumel and Grand Cayman and Zanzibar. I enjoyed them all but wasn't blown away by any of it, but I had a few really nice dives. So with all that said, in your opinion, do you think Ni'ihau is that much better than the dives we have planned in Hawaii that it would warrant delaying our trip until May just so that we could dive it? It would be the only reason to go in late May vs late march/early april.

No. Ni'ihau is nice diving, but it is not something to plan your trip around.

No. Ni'ihau is nice diving, but it is not something to plan your trip around.

Thanks so much, this is precisely what I wanted to know :)

Not to threadjack, but is Cathedrals an advanced dive?
It is not. Both cathedrals are at moderate depth and have several exit points. They are probably considered caverns (definitely not considered caves), but I would say they are very safe ones. Sandy bottoms that will not silt, good visibility without lights (although lights make it more fun), and not a lot of current. I would not shy away from the cathedrals because of a lack of experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom