Referral course cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dunkafa

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a place to complete my PADI open water course, i need to do 4 open water dive.
I will be in Maui end February and as a budget traveler i'm looking for a cheap place to do it.
Looks like all the operators have the same prices... Do you guys have knows some good deals or people to contact ?

Thanks

D.:)

I booked my referral dives with Ed Robinson in a couple of weeks. They were priced competitively and get good reviews on the board here. Everything I have read and after speaking with the shop, their instructors are top notch.

One thing I've learned is that cheap and scuba are not words typically used in the same sentence.

Ed Robinson's or Shaka Divers are $250. Both are in the Kihei area. I'd go with Ed as Shaka Doug doesn't have a boat.
Some of the Maui shops do 2 shore dives followed by 2 boats the next day for your referral - IDK if ERDA does.

Everyone else I know of is more. I checked about 7-8 shops I have bookmarked.

I did my referral with B&B. I was scheduled for 4 boat dives, however the boat was cancelled the second day, so we did 2 shore dives and then dived the boat the next day. 6 dives for my OW class. The instructors are great. I trained under Brad, the owner, and enjoyed a semi private class. There were only two of us for the first day, and the other diver quit after the first dive, so I had a great time. Skill drill and then go diving till time to come up. I dived with them later after getting certified and was able to dive with an AOW class. Dived to 98' on my 10th dive. The depth was not nearly as stunning as the yellow margin moray at about 85'.

I still enjoy diving with them when I am on the island. They have a great boat, fast and stable. They are always my first choice for dive operations.

Dennis

OP -- which do you want -- the cheapest experience or the most instructive? Sometimes they are the same, more often they are not. A good Open Water Dive experience will help you improve your diving significantly -- a minimalist one, perhaps not so much.

Which do you want?

I really understand what you guys says about cheap and instructive but this time i would just like to finish my OW certification as a referral course. I really got a good training from my instructor here in confined water.
Once i finish my certification the next dives, as already certified diver are cheapest than initially so i will look into getting the best experience.
I have to say this time i'm looking for the cheapest ... :D

Also...... the words "Maui" and "Cheap" don't often crop up in the same sentences either.

Very true.

Also, OP...where on Maui will you be staying? May influence your decision.

With that said...i can add a little more info around Ed Robinson. I did my Open Water referral with ERDA (Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures) in November. Cost was $260 all up...equipment, four dives, and PADI certification.card. Dive shop location is Kihei.

All of the dives were shore dives from a beach park...Ulua Beach (near the Marriott Wailea). My instructor was Chaz. If you have Chaz, expect long days. We met up around 6:30 am at the Kihei shop and finished the day at the shop around 3 pm each day Chaz is very thorough and does a lot teaching/explanation as part of the certification. I liked his approach and teaching style and recommend him. I hope to dive with him again on a future trip to Maui.

I looked into other shops before making my decision...some were cheaper and some significantly more expensive, ERDA was a good choice for me.

Whatever your choice...enjoy Maui!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom