Small Group Dive Operators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yellowfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are headed to Maui/Wailea area in a month. Any specific recommendations for a dive operator/boat that ONLY takes out small groups? Not looking of anything over 12 divers... smaller if possible.

And any information about strong currents in certain areas that anyone can share? Trying to avoid those.
Thanks

Some options. I included links I had bookmarked.

Mike Severn's goes with 12 max. And they split the 12 or less into 2 groups. So 6 max per dive. They like everyone else in the Kihei/Wailea area will go to Molokini Crater first. You meet them at the Kihei boat ramp. General Information Mike Severns Diving Maui Their guides are also naturalists so it's an interesting ride over as well. They leave pretty early (5:45?) to try to be the first boat there - but none of them leave much past 6:30AM anyway.

Dives inside the crater and at either point of the crater are typically calmer - it buffers the offshore waves. The Molokini Backwall - arguably the "signature" dive is often a live drop/pickup due to currents. They don't always know till they get out there. It can be a little pitchy at times also.

Second dives are often along the South/West Maui coast since the tradewinds make the crossing back rougher for the smaller obats. Most of those I've done are pretty low-current. Scuba Shack also goes with 2 groups of 6 max. I don't know anything else about them.

It's a 45min. drive to Lahaina so the only reason to do that is to dive Lana'i (the Cathedrals) since the Kihei boats don't generally go there. if so Extended Horizons or Hawaiian Rafting Adventures are smaller options. One I don't know much about is Maui Pacific Divers - looks like a small boat (photo gallery) so probably a limited load as well. West Lana'i is typically the fastest drift diving - Lahaina sells a trip just for that. So don't do any of those dives - it can really be ripping - I know firsthand...

Maui Scuba Diving 808 667 0611 Scuba Dive Lanai Extended Horizons - Maui's Leading Green Dive Shop - Lahaina, Hawaii
Scuba Lanai - Lanai Dive Trips, Lahaina Dive Shop, Scuba Lessons | Hawaiian Rafting Adventures
Maui Scuba Diving | Scuba Diving Tours | Maui Pacific Divers

Really the boats you wouldn't be interested in are Lahaina Divers, Maui Dive Shop and possibly Maui Diamond II. None of which are based in Kihei. Maui Dive Shop feeds divers from all their shops to their big Newton in Ma'alea and Maui Dreams Dive Co. and another operator in Lahaina to the Maui Diamond II. So they could go with 16-24 or so. Lahaina Divers has 2 big 45' Newtons and they frequently look full. One afternoon with them I got lucky and there were 8 total divers. But that was the drift dive mentioned above. FYI - there are no boats moored in Wailea - except one of the big sail cats and you don't want it - it's mostly snorkelers with a dive option. All the Kihei boats go off the ramp - most trailered in daily.

hth,

Also check out:

Ed Robinsons....10-12 divers
Dive & Sea.....6 divers (boat is rated for 12)
Pro Diver....6 divers (boat is rated for 12+)
Makena Coast Charters....6 divers

lots of good choices! My personal favorite is Ed Robinsons for their advanced charters on Sunday, Tuesday,(3-tank),Wednesday, and Friday.

As to currents, those aren't predictable. Even the back wall of Molokini can be dead calm when you drop in, and ripping by the time you're getting out. Shore diving doesn't usually have current, but there are sites where it can definitely come up.

Some options. I included links I had bookmarked.

It's a 45min. drive to Lahaina so the only reason to do that is to dive Lana'i (the Cathedrals) since the Kihei boats don't generally go there. if so Extended Horizons or Hawaiian Rafting Adventures are smaller options. One I don't know much about is Maui Pacific Divers - looks like a small boat (photo gallery) so probably a limited load as well. West Lana'i is typically the fastest drift diving - Lahaina sells a trip just for that. So don't do any of those dives - it can really be ripping - I know firsthand...

Maui Scuba Diving 808 667 0611 Scuba Dive Lanai Extended Horizons - Maui's Leading Green Dive Shop - Lahaina, Hawaii
Scuba Lanai - Lanai Dive Trips, Lahaina Dive Shop, Scuba Lessons | Hawaiian Rafting Adventures
Maui Scuba Diving | Scuba Diving Tours | Maui Pacific Divers

I used Maui Pacific Divers in October. They are an excellent choice in my option. They have a newer boat that takes out I believe 8 divers max. We dove with them 4 days at various sites around Lana'i and also a trip over to Molinkini crater backwall. They also have the best surface interval snacks I've seen on a boat...... brownies, fruit, gateraide, water, etc and have a very personable crew.

+1 for Mike Severns, but be aware they sometimes book up well in advance

Our last time in Maui, when they were booked, we used Scuba Shack. More people on the boat, but not crowded on the dive. Also, it's the fastest boat. They had a mishap last year when a sudden storm came up, but I would use them again. I think the ProDive Maui boat sunk about roughly the same time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom