Maui shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reidkon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are returning to Bonaire for our second trip in March and I am already in planning mode for our 2016 dive vacation. We like Bonaire for the shore diving but looking for something different in 2016.
Just wondering how the shore diving is in Maui compared to Bonaire, taking into consideration ease of entry, surf, boat traffic, and of course fish, coral etc.

I wouln't say it's better or worse - just different. You're not going to see the soft fans/corals like Bonaire but the fish life is pretty plentiful at some locations. I have non-stop access to Hawaii so have been there a lot more times than Bonaire. Another difference is that since Maui is volcanic, I often read posts that claim it's barren. It's not but you have to slow down/look harder sometimes. Hawaii has one of the highest endemic species counts in the world so they're out there. You often see schools of tangs/butterflies etc in relatively shallow water. Not a lot of the Maui shore dives get very deep - 70' or so is about all unless you swim out - or rent a scooter. So a lot of the better diving is 30-40' - at some sites nothing much exceeds that. Lots of turtles - part of the West Maui coast is called "Turtle Town" - which encompasses several boat/shore dives and you regularly see reef sharks. Turtles also bring TIgers into Olawalu on occasion - I've yet to (but hope to) see any.

Most of the entries are pretty easy. Almost all are beaches - there's a few where you pick your way over the lava but it's been ground down by waves in most places along the waterline. Once you're in the water it's usually pretty easy going - often a sandy bottom leading to coral starting deeper than you can stand. I've never even thought until now about the entries, they're so benign. One exception - and a good dive - is Mala Pier in Lahaina. The legal entry requires picking through the coral out to deeper water - the illegal entry is easier but across an active boat channel. If there's a DLNR agent nearby - you will get a ticket. Also they're going to want to see you enter and leave with a flag at all the sites - the shops rent them. It's been my experience that they're more active in South Maui - I've seen an agent there once or twice watching divers with binoculars.

There's very few resorts with dive operators on site unlike Bonaire. It's because the big hotels/condo complexes are on the best beaches - not the best dive sites. The few that do have one aren't on good dive locations. Two exceptions might be the Sheraton Black Rock and the Wailea Grand - both are on named shore dives. Each has a dive operation for guests but not external customers.

Multiple Maui Dive Shops in both West and South Maui rent tanks, sell fill cards etc. So do most of the boat dive operators and there's also a couple of shore dive operations - two I know are Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei and Tiny Bubbles in Lahaina - there' about a dozen others also. And freelance guides who generally meet you at a location, Shaka Doug/Shaka Divers is one in the Kihei area and I also know Scuba Mike who I believe works the whole coast line. It's often recommended to hire a guide first as they show you how to find the good stuff. After a couple dives though you start to figure it out. One tip is that many of the beaches are typically more rocky at either end - if you go in off the beach in the middle it's a longer swim to deeper reef - if you go towards the point you run into reef, lava tubes, overhangs, caves - sometimes as shallow as 30-40 - esp. in South Maui. Sometimes one point is a lot better than the other also.

If I was going to do a lot of shore diving - I'd base there. There must be almost a dozen good dives within 10mins. of Kihei heading south into Wailea. The West Maui sites are more spread out but worth a drive up a couple days.

For boat dives a general rule of thumb is the Kihei boats go to Molokini Crater and the Lahaina boats go to Lana'i. Some do both. The reason is that Kihei boats are trailered in and launch from the ramp, boats in Lahaina harbor - or Ma'alea harbor farther south - are moored at the docks. The tradewinds pick up in the early afternoons making the return from Molokini rougher so the smaller obats leave early (5:30-6:30) to get there and back b4 they do. 2nd dives with anyone are often along the Maui shore line also.

Boat traffic isn't really an issue since except for Mala Pier there's no dive site near one. You have to watch for sailboats off Kihei if you surface in deep water but you likely won't Most of the better diving off Maui really doen't exceed 70' - at some the reef would tear up any boat that tried to enter the bay also. Jet skis are a different issue but one of the rentals is off Ka'anapali Beach and there's no good diving there.

All the beaches - and dive sites - are public. Even ones with resorts on them have to provide public access. Often just a path so you drop your gear and someone goes to park. The lots fill up fast in the mornings - we've circled 15-20mins. waiting for someone to leave. Lunchtime is a good time to find a spot and we've never had any problems on afternoon dives. Some of the more popular beach sites also have big lots so it's never an issue.

Many dives are also really nice beaches so if you have non-divers they may want to go along - Kapalua Beach for example is one of the nicer ones in NW Maui and a decent - but shallow dive.

Here's the shore dive list. As you can see predominantly they're near Kihei/Wailea. My top 5 dives on the list are Makena Landing, Polo, Ulua, Wailea Beaches and Old Airport. Not included but one of the best is Mala Pier in Lahaina. Some of the farther north sites are long carries or rougher entries and weather dependent - you can't tell until you get down to the water though sometimes. Watch the surf reports - if they're reporting good in an area the diving will typically suck. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

Maui Ocean Center also has a dive with the sharks exhibit. Tell your friends you went to Maui and dove with a Tiger shark. (he's about 3' long...) If you plan your trip during Humpback season - mid Dec. to March? - you'll hear them singing off Molokini. And often see them on the ride over - or on a whale watch cruise.

Diversteve, do you know which boats goto Lanai from Kihei?

I agree with everything diversteve has said. If you go slowly and look carefully, there is a lot to see in the shallow reefs off Maui. And sometimes it isn't small -- we have seen a manta (swam between us) and a pod of dolphins, and a humpback whale there! If the surf isn't up, the entries are easy, and only once have we encountered current that was more than just noticeable. We rent our tanks and weights from B&B in Kihei. We've done the Lanai sites with Ed Robinson, but I prefer going out with Mike Severns, because of their emphasis on unusual endemic species.

None of the Kihei operators were going to Lanai on our last two trips to Maui in 2013 and 2014. We went to Lanai with Lahaina Divers, and it makes sense since it is a shorter boat ride from Lahaina.

DiverSteve did a great review of Maui shore diving, which we have been recently discovering and have loved on the past two trips. Maui Dreams in Kihei rents tanks for $5 a tank and you can get to lots of great sites just heading south of Kihei. Don't miss Ahihi Kinau Reserve south at the end of the road, especially if you have people with you who want to just snorkel and are not diving.

I'm fairly certain Robinson's does on the 3 tank. At least they did with my buddy once. Generally we drive between Wailea and Lahaina depending on which island we want to dive. I've done the West Lana'i drift dives with Lahaina Divers. Maui Dive Shop does it from Ma'alea - I dove Cathedrals with them once when everyone else was booked.

Ed Robinson's hasn't gone to Lanai in many, many years. It's a very rough ride from Kihei and not worth the time and effort for them. Lahaina Divers and Extended Horizons go to Lanai out of Lahaina.

DiverSteve did an amazing job of outlining shore diving on Maui, however, what he didn't say is that it isn't unusual to get blown out by the weather or swells that make shore diving impossible. Since buying a condo on Maui, we go 4-5x a year for a week or two at a time, and we still book some boat dives to guarantee we'll dive.

Our preferred operator is Ed Robinson's because they do advanced charters on Sunday, Tuesday (3-tank), and Friday, taking us to sites not dived by most operators.

Unless you have other reasons to go to Maui, IMO the shore diving on the Big Island is a little to a lot better, depending upon what you like for diving. Generally clearer water, more and bigger fish by far, better opportunities for dolphins and mantas, more good sites, way less sand, way easier to get below 20', but fewer/smaller turtles and slightly fewer reef sharks. Most entries and exits are off of lava benches, which is a good thing for dive quality, and you have to be careful to judge the sea conditions and bench topography, but the same caveat applies for Maui surf at the beach entries. I'd say as a general observation that you're less likely to encounter boat traffic overhead on the BI as well. I'll throw in better traffic conditions, possibly nicer budget lodging, nicer coastline, and a nicer town locale as well (Kailua vs Kihei or Kaanapali; Lahaina is OK), but those are open to debate. Almost forgot: much cheaper and bigger papaya!

If you're only there a week or so you won't exhaust good shore dives on Maui, and it has the benefit of Molokini, Lanai, and Molokai by boat. On the BI the boats go mostly to the same or similar sites you can get to from shore. If you end up on Maui, another nice site not on that shoredive page is between Olowalu and the tunnel to the south, right before you enter the tunnel. If the seas allow you to get in over the small shore rocks, there's great coral out and to the left, like a maze of big coral heads and channels. Other favorites are Honolua Bay, for the topography and sea life, and Five Caves/Makena Landing for the turtles and reef sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom