Eels you have seen or know to exist around Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crass3000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Been getting REALLY into photographing different moray, snake, etc eels. Thinking about hitting Hawaii to really look hard for eels among other things. What type of eels have you seen or know to exist in the water around Hawaii?

Hoover’s book Hawaiian Reef Fishes has photos for one cusk eel species, three congers, one garden eel, 19 morays, and seven snake eels. Also one sea snake.

The Viper Moray is a treat. I only have dived Maui and from my experience they are found off South Maui i.e. La Perouse Bay and farther South. I am sure they are elsewhere but this is the location I have seen them regularly.

I've seen Snowflake Eels off Lana'i. Not reliably enough to make that a selection criteria though. I'm reasonably certain we saw other eels off Wailea Beach also in the rocks off the south point - brown with white spots but I don't know what they were. That's not too far from La Perouse if you wanted to base in Kihei/Wailea. Also they must see eels off Molokini and all the boats that go there leave from the Kihei ramp.

Seen lots of Yellow Margin. They are lots at Molokini. I have seen pygmy, crocodile (alligator?), snowflake, green reticulated and dragon eels. Probably some I have forgotten.

I hope you have a great time.

Hoover’s book Hawaiian Reef Fishes has photos for one cusk eel species, three congers, one garden eel, 19 morays, and seven snake eels. Also one sea snake.

Great book.

To the OP, if you can get your hands on Hoover's books before your trip to Hawaii, it will be well worth the cost. His books have terrific photos, are well organized, and a must-have addition to the library of anyone who loves to dive in Hawaii.

Best wishes.

Note: Like a lot of sea life in Hawaii, eels are best spotted if you take your time, move slowly, and scan carefully. Their natural camouflage will make them hard to see, even the large eels, unless they swim clear of their protective surroundings. I've watched divers swim right past even very large eels, close enough that the eel could have latched on to the diver had it wanted to, and the diver was blissfully unaware that the eel was there. If you go blazing across the reef you'll see the largest fish, but miss a myriad of tiny or "shy" critters "hiding in plain sight" on (and in!) the reef.

Thanks for all your replies and information. I got the book pretty quick and it is a great book. Now I just need to get the funds up. I think I'll have to wait on Hawaii as everything seems pretty spendy. That being said everybody that I know that has been there has loved it and a couple of different groups of people I know claim they are going to retire there.

That being said, I have never dove the Pacific unless you count the Puget Sound so if I want to see all that great stuff I might have to bite the bullet. This is my 6th year fighting cancer and although I'm doing well time is likely limited but you never know. I've already beat so many odds my oncologist said "maybe you'll live another 5 or 10 recently" after hearing the 1 to 2 years plenty of times.

Hawaii is a great place for eels. Saw an impressive Conger eel in the Kapoho tidepools, Big Island, while night snorkeling. He ate a Yellow Tang that was blinded by my dive light...sorry Tang. Saw a fibrulated ? eel near Makena Beach on Maui. Saw a giant trevally and eel work over coral heads as a hunting team at Mala Pier on Maui. Not sure if Hawaii is absolutely the greatest place to dive but it's great for eels (and turtles).

Back
Top Bottom