Big Island Whale Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZTinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The arrival of heavy surge conditions during Christmas week resulted in cancellation of our manta dives. We did catch a break on our last dive day when the boat crew got us on a whale shark. The crew guys said whale sharks aren't frequent visitors to the Big Island and finding one was a real treat.

The photos are a couple of captures taken from some video I shot with a GoPro.

-AZTinman

WhALE SHARK 4.jpg

WhALE SHARK 3.jpg

Excellent, thanks for posting those pics. I had no idea whale sharks were even an option in Hawaii. I'm heading to the Big Island in two days - probably won't be as lucky as you on the whale shark front, but hopefully the manta dive goes as planned.

James

Do hope you don't encounter the surge conditions we did during Christmas week. Our major purpose for being there was the night manta dive. There were multi-day cancellations by the operators and they were heavily booked for the week. When conditions improved enough for the ops to get back on schedule, there were no openings for us to re-schedule. Still, we made the most of the trip and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Damn, now we'll just have to do a return trip.

-AZTinman

Back
Top Bottom