Wife won free condo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltyhawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife just won a free week condo stay for us on any of 3 islands! The possible choices are Kauai Coast Resort, Waikiki Marina Resort or Kona Coast Resort. Are any of these islands/resorts compatable with a dive vacation? We went to Hawaii several years ago before we became divers. We would really like to make this a dive vacation if at all possible.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

I have dived on both Kauai and Hawaii.

Just keep in mind that this is not the Caribbean. The water is colder and the reef and fish life are different. Not better or worse, just a completely different ecosystem. I really like the diving on Hawaii. I'm here now.

As a salt water aquarist I'm actually very excited about the reef fish of Hawaii as they are common in reef tanks. Achilles tangs, flame wrasses are both native to Hawaii and are on my bucket list of fish to see in the wild.

How much colder? 7mm full suit colder? I would just hate to have an excuse to by another wet suit! :D I have full suit and shorty in 3mm. Need more?

Water temp will depend when you're there - late summer is 80-82. Kona would be the best diving I think. Kauai was probably the least interesting of the diving unless you go to Nihau.

I really enjoy hawaii diving BTW.

As a salt water aquarist I'm actually very excited about the reef fish of Hawaii as they are common in reef tanks. Achilles tangs, flame wrasses are both native to Hawaii and are on my bucket list of fish to see in the wild.

How much colder? 7mm full suit colder? I would just hate to have an excuse to by another wet suit! :D I have full suit and shorty in 3mm. Need more?

Haha, depends on where and the time of year. Monday both dives were 70 and 71F. Thursday they were both 75F. Different locations and less run off from the rain on Thursday.

We have always been here in March or November. Water temps have been from low to mid seventies. Finding those few endemic Hawaiian fish species is fun.

Thanks Hawk. I dove 75 degree in a shorty a few weeks ago and was ok but it was a deep/short dive.

Thanks Subanoobi. What was lacking in Kauai? We loved the island when we were there before because it was less developed but that was a land lubber vacation.

If you want to dive kauai you need to either dive out of Po'ipu or tunnels, if you're staying in one of those places it may be OK, also there was a lot of rock formations, where other islands had hard coral.

One dive on kauai, I counted at least 40 turtles, so not horrible:wink:

Thanks Hawk. I dove 75 degree in a shorty a few weeks ago and was ok but it was a deep/short dive.

Thanks Subanoobi. What was lacking in Kauai? We loved the island when we were there before because it was less developed but that was a land lubber vacation.

Wore my 5mm. Doing 85 minute dives. Would have preferred my dry suit!

Oh, congratulations by the way. If you end up on Hawaii, I can highly recommend Big Island Divers. I have used Pacific Rim, Jack's, and Kona Honu. They are all excellent, just settled on Big Island. Like the folks, particularly Corrine.

Last edited:
I've dived Kauai (1 week), Maui (1 week), and the Big Island (5 times) so I guess my preference is pretty clear. Mid 70's to upper 70's most of the time. I usually dive a 3mm shorty but there have been occasions where I wish it was a full suit as I got a little chilly. Really enjoyed Big Island Divers as well as Kona Honu about 10 years ago. The last 5 years the only company we've used is Blue Wilderness. The owners, Dave and Denise, are super attentive and very knowledgeable. I got Rescue certified with them and it was a blast! Their zodiac boat rocks! They dive out of a small marina on the north side of the island so very little traffic and you are close to dive sites. I liked not having to drive the 20 miles to Kona as we always stay in Waikoloa Village. Didn't know if I would like it but the speed we get to dive sites blows everyone else out of the water, so to speak. If you go to the Big Island you MUST do the manta night dive. It is an experience like no other sitting on the bottom blowing bubbles while these amazing creatures perform a ballet 6 inches over your head. Do not miss it!

I love diving Hawaii. A free condo, can't beat that. I have stayed at Kona Coast Resort and really liked it, it is in Keauhou which isn't really walkable into Kona town, so you would probably want a rental car. As far as the diving, I like Hawaii island the best. I have dove Maui and Big Island but only snorkeled on Kauai. The water clarity was awful on Kauai, I guess all the run off from the rain? The visibility was good on the Big Island, my favorite dives on the Big Island were up near Puako (about 40 mins drive from Kona) but the sites around Kona were good too (the lava tubes at 'suck-em-up' were cool). The Honokohau harbor where the boats pick you up for a dive day is about 10 mins drive from Kona Coast Resort, it is just before the airport.
One of my most memorable dives was the manta ray night dive at the old airport site in Kona, totally awesome! I would choose the Big Island of Hawaii.
I dove Oahu a long time ago and I don't remember being blown away, but I do remember seeing several eagle rays and that was incredible. (We dove a cable laying ship wreck, but the wreck was just OK).
I checked out the Kauai Coast Resort on tripadvisor and it is in Kapaa, so you would end up driving at least 30-40 minutes to get to the dive sites on Kauai. For strictly a dive vacation I would choose Hawaii the Big Island. For topside I would still choose BI but Kauai a close second.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom