Just Back from West Maui Mar 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WavyGravy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’ve recently returned from my first trip to Hawaii (all in Maui) where I had a fantastic time. It wasn’t a dive trip per se, but we did have a day for diving. Since my partner is not yet certified and we were looking for checkout dives, we opted to dive nearby in West Maui instead of getting up before the sun to head to South Maui.

We looked in Trip Advisor and found a place called in2scuba and met with Ty, who was nice enough to accommodate us on very short notice. The dive group was nice and small: 2 students, and 2 of us who were certified tagging along with our friends (I hadn’t been diving in about 2 years and thought this would be a nice easy dive to get the rust off). Despite just being checkout dives, there were plenty of turtles to see and lots of whales to hear. It is so amazing to be diving and hear whales singing.

So, I am happy to recommend Ty at in2scuba for anyone who is looking for beginner dives in small groups near Lahaina/Ka’anapali Beach in West Maui. He was great.

And for anyone who comes across this post researching their first trip to Maui, here is some touristy non-diving stuff that we loved:

1. Rent a jeep, take off the roof, and do the drive to Hana
  2. Put the roof back on and drive up the volcano (not after diving obviously)
  3. Get a seared ahi tuna sandwich and some pie from Leoda’s on 30 near Lahaina (oh my god)

There is something special about Maui, which explains why so many people I met were vacationers who decided to stay. I’m looking forward to going back again (maybe next winter) with a focus on diving.

Back
Top Bottom