Hawaii advice for a surfing diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetPup

Weedy Sea Dragon
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,

I'm floating the idea of a trip to Hawaii in 6-12 months. I'm both a surfer and a diver, so really want a trip that allows the best of both worlds. I was thinking 2-3 weeks and multiple islands (I'm Australian, and Hawaii is a little inconvenient travel-wise from where I live, so I need to make the most of it). The time of year I go has some degree of flexibility, but it's easier for me to get time off work in December-January, so am probably aiming for the end of this year (and attempting to at least see the end of the Pipeline Masters). I know that's a reasonable time of year for surfing, but is the diving actually going to be any good? If so, where would people recommend I go? I will definitely be visiting the big island regardless of the diving, because I'm a geologist and like volcanoes. I figure at the very least I will do the manta dive there as well. Beyond that, is it worth staying on the big island to do most of the diving? Or is there better diving elsewhere?

Would greatly appreciate any advice :coffee:

How ya goin mate?!?!

Big Island has amazing diving for sure........ Generally very good year round. On Oahu you should surf North and dive South. We often have great conditions on the south shore when the waves are crashing up in the country. Lots of fun to be had for both Divers and Surfers in Dec/Jan/Feb and whales on ALL shores doing their amazing antics. Take a look at our links below and when in Kona think about Kona Diving Company, Jack's Diving Locker and Big Island Divers

G

Thanks for the tips :)

Any other islands worth diving over December/January?

The diving in Hawaii is great all year. Maui has some great dives also including Molokina Crater. I reccomend Ed Robinson's for Maui. Oahu has great diving and I recommend Gabe at Kaimana Divers. As Gabe mentioned, Kona Diving Company is awesome. I used them on my last trip for the Manta Dive!

I am no expert on Hawaiian diving but since you are hoping to enjoy multiple activities and islands on your trip, I wanted to add my experience with the Kona Aggressor. You could do a lot of great diving in a week and then spend the rest of the time fully enjoying surfing and other activities.

The Aggressor was an amazing trip and included the more distant southern sites off the Big Island that are usually not available to the day boats. I remember a dive with lava flows in the background and geysers of steam shooting up as the lava flowed into the sea - very dramatic and beautiful! I think we did about 25 dives that week and there was abundant healthy and diverse sea life and beautiful hard corals. The night dive with Mantas was part of the itinerary and it was a fantastic experience on an outstanding trip.

https://www.aggressor.com/kona.php

That was actually kind of my intention anyway, to go out for a week on the Aggressor, spend a couple of days topside on the Big Island, then go off island hopping elsewhere for a surf and relax. The timing I wanted turned out to be problematic, so it's not going to happen at Christmas. Need to rethink the dates a bit, but it'll still happen.

Aloha!

I'm a science diver and instructor with our Campus Recreation Department at the University of Hawai'i at Hilo, on Big Island. Kona side has terrific diving. There are a couple noteworthy surf spots too like Pine Trees, Magics and Honoli'i. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom