Diving in Maui and Honolulu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovetoscuba

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I will be going to Maui to visit my brother in early September for a little more than a week, than head to Honolulu for a few days staying by Waikiki beach on my own. I was wondering if I would need a wetsuit for that time of year for scuba diving and if so, what mm? 3 or 5? I usually dive in the Caribbean and Florida so not sure on water temp that time of year in Hawaii. Also do you think Maui has better diving or Honolulu? Thanks!:cool2:

My wife and I spend time in October in Maui. For the last few years the water temp on my computer has been 81 degrees. I use a 3/2mm, but may take my 1.5 this year.
I haven't dove in Honolulu, but I really enjoy the diving in Maui.

When on Maui I dive a 3/2 mm because I am either deep (like 130') or out for a long time (50 to 60+ min) per dive. I like Maui in September because everything is warm. For shallow beach diving all you really need is a shorty or skin to keep the BC from chafing. I've seen people dive in tee shirts. I recommend the beach diving on Maui vs. paying for a boat ride. Airport Beach, Ka'anapali Beach, around the Sheraton or Mala Wharf are easy entry, fantastic diving.

I know nothing about Oahu.

Maui has great reefs, Oahu has great wrecks. I recently moved to Oahu and love the area for diving. I have been on a few shore and boat dives and have seen coral reefs, tropical fish of all colors, giant turtles and gorgeous sharks. I have yet to dive a wreck, but plan on doing so next week. Check out Ocean Legends on Oahu for gear rentals and dive trips. Really nice folks and great divers. Since you are from FL, I would recommend at least a 3/2. I moved here after diving the Puget Sound for years, but still wear a 5mm suit.

I was in Oahu and Maui the last part of March and the beginning of April. Went diving with Kaimana Divers (Gabe Scotti- Scottitheduck on the forum here) and would highly recommend them. Dove the YO257 and the Seatiger, Honu all over the wrecks, fish but no Atlantis sub to moon (kidding- we were warned not to, as the sub company frowns on this practice and will call the coast guard on you). Very enjoyable dives, right out in front of waikiki beach. I had on a 3/2 shorty with a lavacore tank top underneath. Perfectly comfortable for me, water temp was 77. Ditto with Maui, diving at molokini with another good outfight, B&B Scuba. Nice boat, good people to dive with.

Back
Top Bottom