Kona Diving Dilemma-advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rock2r

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Heading back over to Kona Side/Big Island in 2 weeks for the umpteenth time. I used to be loyal to BID back in the day until they started doing the snorkel tours and upsizing their boats and pax count-I understand that a business needs to adjust to where the dollars are and things eventually change. So, I moved on to another local Dive Op-great folks/owner, who shall remain anonymous, and the boat is usually not too crowded (all good so far); however; the last few times out with them the trips seem to stay closer and closer to the harbor-and it's not due to weather or swells! Now the Green Can is one of my all time favorite dive sites, back when DNR let you dive it "legally", but paying big dollars to dive "Ripoff Reef" every other day got old quick. So-need some local input as to who runs a decent small op that caters to a bit more advanced diving, night reef dives (not Manta!) and dive locations? I know that there are Long Range options that the big boats run, but that is once a week-"if" there is enough interest...and they still take snorkelers.
Thx in advance.

Full disclosure: I'm not a local

My 2 cents: I'm partial to Kona Dive Company. That said, I've definitely had a few days in a row where we stayed close to the harbor. I didn't mind though, since the dives were great.
If its a concern, consider the three tank days (which go further up or down the coast). I think they were running twice a week. Or just chat with the op and share your concerns/preferences. They might be able to accomodate you. I've never had a snorkeler on a KDC Dive unless it was the twilight/manta combo, but I'm sure they are on the morning dives too sometimes.
They run the occasional night reef dive (not Manta), but like most ops the manta dive is the main night draw.

Don't

There aren't really any dive ops that cater specifically to the more seasoned diver. Instead, you are best advised to keep your ear to the ground as to when the various dive ops are doing long-range charters. KDC and Jack's both do long ranges when there is enough interest. None of the dives, even those further south, are what I would consider "advanced." They are usually just different sites that are a bit further from the harbor. For the more experienced divers, I usually recommend they try a blackwater dive. These are drifting dives about 3-5 miles offshore at night. The dive highlights animals in the planktonic community and especially those that migrate vertically from thousands of feet down. While Jack's and BID do these, I usually steer people toward Neptune Charlie's or Kona Honu Divers simply because they are the cheapest for the same experience.

I'm an experienced diver who has dived Kona more than a few times. Consider finding locals and doing shore dives. I did that last trip and am arranging to do that again in July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom