Handling octopuses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There was a recent trip report on Undercurrent describing the handling of an octopus by the guide on a dive in Kauai. I have witnessed this same behavior by some of the operators I have used in Maui and Oahu.

Is this a common practice or unusual? I would be interested in hearing experiences and attitudes toward this practice by both visitors and locals. Thanks.

There was a recent trip report on Undercurrent describing the handling of an octopus by the guide on a dive in Kauai. I have witnessed this same behavior by some of the operators I have used in Maui and Oahu.

Is this a common practice or unusual? I would be interested in hearing experiences and attitudes toward this practice by both visitors and locals. Thanks.

A couple of years ago on the big island, one of the divemasters handled an Octopus:no: In my opinion, divers should leave everything alone and not touch anything.

Russ

A good friend of mine had an octo stuck to her mask and side of her head. It was delightfull to everyone else and a good story to tell but at her own admittance she was terrified. Personaly I avoid handeling sealife, I only admire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time I was in Hawai'i, which was about 5 years ago, I planned a week of diving with a dive operation. On the first day I was with them, the DM pulled an octopus out of its hole to show us his prize, amid an explosion of black ink. I let my displeasure be known, and I switched to a different operator for the rest of the week.

The last time I was in Hawai'i, which was about 5 years ago, I planned a week of diving with a dive operation. On the first day I was with them, the DM pulled an octopus out of its hole to show us his prize, amid an explosion of black ink. I let my displeasure be known, and I switched to a different operator for the rest of the week.

That was my reaction, exactly

There was a shop next to the boat launch where they do the Manta Night Dive. When planning my first trip to Hawaii I ordered a VHS tape from them. If I went with them the cost of the tape would be deducted from the trip cost. In the video they pulled a moray eel out of its den and had everyone "pet" it. They caught a small octopus and made it ink several times while handing it off to other divers. Needless to say, I went with Kona Coast Divers instead.

Interesting. Octopi have beaks and from what I understand a powerful bite. I don't know how big an octopus it takes to get a grip on a person so as to do some damage. Are they not prone to bite when provoked?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom