Summer availability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kixy1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
[-]Hi [/-] Aloha All-

I'm a Hawaii newbie (first visit last March), but with a kid at UH I'll be heading over a few times a year. I'm a Caribbean junkie, so I understand the weather and tourist seasons there, but no idea about Hawaii.

What's summer like? I've read temps are stable year-round so I'm thinking it's not really 'low season'?

How busy are the dive ops in summer? Are early reservations a necessity? I've heard the north shore opens up for diving in summer, is it worth the drive to get up there?

I'll be there for a week, but have NO idea what my schedule will be like. My girl wanted me to stay for the week, but I'm pretty sure after an expensive trip to Target and humping a frig up 5 flights, she'll be pushing me out the door to hang with her new friends LOL

What do you think my chances are of getting on a boat with little to no notice? It's just me, but if it's high season I might not even bring my gear.... I know it's paradise, but I'm really hoping to get in the water instead of sitting alone on the beach! (no one will see my tears underwater, sniff) :depressed:

Thanks for your opinions!

~Deb

Hey Deb!

Lots of great dives in the summer and

1) Yes, you should plan on bringing your gear if you want to do more than a day of diving and it makes sense luggage wise
2) North Shore is fantastic...... Shark's Cove, 3 Tables and Fire House are great dives. Good to have a lead for them though....
3) Operators are busy in the summer so a bit of planning goes a long way

I suggest you block out the days you are thinking of diving and make plans to see a few sides of the islands. A lot of the diving is condition dependent meaning if there are big waves on the South or West shores your best bet is up North. It's tricky to predict that much further in advance than a few days but when will you be visiting? What's your certification level and how many dives do you have? Are you up for some wreck dives while you are here?

Mahalo!

G

Hi Gabe!

My son and I dove with KD last March. Had a great time, and you guys will be my first call. I was mostly fishing for anyone with experience trying to get on a boat (any boat LOL) last minute.

We get there on August 16th, but no idea when I'll be cut loose to dive. I'm *thinking* by Wednesday we'll have wiped out both my wallet and my back getting her dorm set up, but not sure. I'll be at the Banyan until the 22nd. I'll text you when I get there and have a better idea. At least get on your cancellation list! :)

Might be up for trying the Sea Tiger again (didn't quite make it there last time) :wink: Not really a wreck-lover but Kevin insists it's awesome... and he was right about the YO. Take care and hopefully see you in August.

Mahalo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom