Charters near Kanapali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdcook1974

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anybody have a recommendation for a dive operation near Ka'anapali? I will be there in June with my wife and kids that do not dive so I'm hoping for an operation that can easily pair me with someone or with a guide. Also if anyone has any recommendations for snorkeling with kids. It looks like snorkeling off the beach is a good option for kids, but I wouldn't mind taking them on a charter (separate from my SCUBA charter) if there is a must see site. Thanks in advance!

All boats have a guide in the water. I like Lahaina Divers advanced dive trips.
Old Airport Beach is a nice place for snorkeling. When will you be there. We are going on June 19.

How old are the kids? Black Rock is a good snorkel but the swim out from the beach could tire little ones. If there's a current running, it's usually to the south so it helps going back. And they'd need some floatation probably. It's even a pretty good walk from the parking garage - unless you're staying at the Sheraton. The dive/snorkel site is the cove near "K" - http://www.in2scubadivingmaui.com/images/MapsEtc/Black Rock Map directions.jpg

I like the suggestion of Old Airport also, it doesn't get very deep for quite a long way out and there's things of interest literally 20' off the beach. Big parking lot also - you'll find that although every beach on Maui is public access, finding parking at some is an ordeal after about 9AM.

Kapalua Bay up in Kapalua could be another option - nothing there is deeper than 40' and a whole lot of it is shallower. I've read Kapalua Beach is one of the nicest on Maui. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands - this also suggests good snorkels.

Really just about every beach in the area has decent shallow snorkeling. Rule of thumb, if you see surfers at one, the viz/conditions will suffer. Another general observation is the better snorkeling (and diving) is often off the rockier points at either end of the bay.

Boat dives near Ka'anapali are done with Lahaina Divers, Extended Horizons or Hawaiian Rafting Adventures. There's one more also - always forget the name. Lahaina Divers dives both Lana'i and Molokini Crater on different days. They have two large Newton dive boats. The Cathedrals are the signature dive at Lana'i. They could have a lot of divers on the boat (as seen on their website) but they segment by experience level and it's 8divers/DM max on Maui.

If your dive count is accurate, I don't suggest the West Lana'i advanced drift dives, the currents can be strong. LD prefers you have AOW or recent Hawaii dive exerience for those trips. Both EH and HRA have smaller boats. They don't go over to Molokini since it's too rough coming back. All three are based in Lahaina harbor, a short drive from Ka'anapali.

Maui Dive Shops also have their own boat but they keep it in Ma'lea harbor - about 30mins. south of Lahaina. I don't see an advantage to getting basically the same experience that you will with LD with a longer drive. For tank/gear rental locally they're a good option - there's two shops in the area with rental tanks etc. Dive flags are required, they rent them. Or your dive guide will have one.

If you wanted to shore dive there's several guided options in that area also. Tiny Bubbles works out of the Ka'anapali Beach Club - depending on where you're staying (and how much gear you have) you could walk there. There's also a shuttle running around Ka'anapali, I never saw anyone bring dive gear on but plenty of snorkel bags. In2Scuba is based in Ka'anapali also - IDK where or much about them.

Scuba Dive Maui Ka'anapali Lahaina Hawaii Snorkel | 808.870.0878 | Tiny Bubbles Scuba Diving Specializing in Private Scuba Dives.Snorkel Tours. and Scuba Diving Instruction on Maui | Let's Get Tanked
Scuba Diving Maui Kaanapali Black Rock Sheraton Lahaina #1 Tripadvisor | In2Scuba Diving Maui Dive Co

Your family can snorkel out on Molokini also.

Pride of Maui goes out there on a big powered catamaran from Ma'alea harbor. Kids 3-12 are welcome - where they moor it's very protected and shallow. Prices are a little high IMO but they grill lunch etc. Also it's easy entry, there's both a slide and stairs (not ladders) into/out of the water. You can even dive, they offer a dive at the same location also. I did it once a long time ago with an insta-buddy - we headed out deeper back towards Maui and found whitetips resting in about 60'. Cruising back over the coral we found a couple of frogfish also. I don't remember a DM but we would've not wanted one if they had offered. Someone qualified did do the briefing and led the Discover Divers though - we went the other way. https://www.prideofmaui.com/

Another family snorkel option is with Trilogy Watersports - big sailing catamarans. http://www.sailtrilogy.com/ Also out of Ma'alea. For practical reference it's a little over 30minutes drive from Ka'anapali to Ma'alea. I believe Trilogy has an 8AM departure from Ma'alea.

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you both for the information. I am so excited now. We will arrive on June 27. It's going to be a long month at work dreaming of Hawaii.

I highly recommend Trilogy's sail and snorkel to Lanai. They depart out of Lahaina, motor to Lanaii (while being fed cinnamon rolls, sandwich wraps, etc), you spend a few hours at a preserve enjoying great snorkeling, a gorgeous beach (with bathrooms,etc), then have a super delicious meal, and finally board the catamaran for a wonderful sail (and ice cream) back to Lahaina. It's a fantastic way to spend a day.

For snorkel charters I also highly recommend Trilogy's trips. My favorite is just down to Olowalu, 25 feet deep, sand bottom, lava heads and lots of turtles. The catamarans pull up on the beach at Whaler's Village to load and unload. All of their trips are really good. I also took a trip on the Alii Nui thought Maui Dive Shop. Neither my wife or I felt that the trip was worth the price they charge. The crew was fantastic, but that was about it.

Do some beach dive with Tiny Bubbles or Shaka Doug. They both run local scuba out of a van companies. Tiny Bubbles has an operation at the Ka'anapali Beach Club that provides intro to scuba in the pool and a short beach dive, as well as scooter and night guided dives.

I like Mike Severn's for boat diving because they take the time to discuss the marine life you will see, or saw. Lahaina Divers is convenient because they are right in Lahaina, but they run a larger boat that's packed full (i.e. cattle boat). Almost all the other dive operators run small fast boats to get you out in the morning calm and back before the winds and waves pick up. I've heard lots of good info about B&B and I have also enjoyed trips with Ed Robinson's boat.

Molokini is the clearest dive of all, and most of the trips to Molokini are followed up with a near shore dive near either a wreck or somewhere turtles hang out. Lana'i is a long haul, so plan a full day if you sign on for any trip out there. Also the ride back can be rough if the weather shifts.

Another really great snorkel beach for families is Napili Bay. It's right in front of a really nice resort so there are restrooms and showers on the beach to clean off at the end of the day. It is sheltered by the curve of the bay and the reef runs across the mouth of the bay making it a calm swim at any time. Its right next to Kapalua bay and the parking is a little easier to find.

Don't forget to go eat at the Aloha Mixed Plate on Front Street between the beach and the Cannery Mall in Lahaina. Most reasonably priced food on the island, that I've found.

Trilogy's molokini charter is great too. It also has a slide to the water, which the kids enjoy, a quite decent barbeque and a bar! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom