Kona Manta Ray Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have a recommendation for a good Manta Ray dive op in Kona? I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive single night dive to check out them big fishies. Planning on doing the night dive on Thursday or Friday of next week (3/10 or 3/11).

The recommendations I've read so far are mostly for Jack's, but it looks like they only offer a two tank dive at $115. I also saw "wanna-dive-kona" for a single dive at $69. Are they pretty good?

Thanks.

Hi Jim:
I just got back from two weeks of diving with Steve at wanna dive - I'll be diving with them on my next two weeks. Price, comfort, helpfulness, you name it - go with them. You wont regret it.
montyb

I did the manta ray night dive twice a few years back

The first time was with Kona Coast Divers and the second time was with Eco-Adventures.

They were both great operations, Kona coast has this submersable light plant that supposedly attracts the mantas better, but Eco-Adventures had a nicer boat for the ride.

With Eco-Adventures a video diver came with us and I bought a copy of the video.

I would recomend either one.

Reguardless of who you dive with, this will be a very memorable dive.

TT :wink:

Sadly, Eco-Adventures is no longer around. Their boat is now doing the walewatch/historical tour thing for people on the cruise ships. These days there are a couple of videographers who work with the boats which don't have their own dedicated video diver, you should be able to get a viedo from pretty much any boat op making the trip most nights.

Aloha,

TwoTanks:
I did the manta ray night dive twice a few years back

The first time was with Kona Coast Divers and the second time was with Eco-Adventures.

They were both great operations, Kona coast has this submersable light plant that supposedly attracts the mantas better, but Eco-Adventures had a nicer boat for the ride.

With Eco-Adventures a video diver came with us and I bought a copy of the video.

I would recomend either one.

Reguardless of who you dive with, this will be a very memorable dive.

TT :wink:

I did a Manta Ray dive (my first) with Kona Honu Divers on February 5th, but it was a two tank dive, which is their standard manta "package". Nice, roomy dive boat. Leaves about 3:30pm, first tank is a late afternoon dive at Garden Eel cove, then a dive at the same area after dark, which seems to be where most folks go for their manta encounters now (Jack's was out there, and a few six packs). The first dive was actually better than I expected, saw a frogfish, a fuschia flatworm, lots of eels. When the mantas showed up, the second dive became the highlight of my trip. Very graceful. I hope you have a fun dive, whomever you go with.

Kona Divers was great. It was one of the most fun dives I've done. I bought the video and still enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom