For Al - Below 500 psi pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Yes it's been very quiet in the Ohana lately. As Kidspot mentioned in Al's recent thread, it's been pretty wintry here with clouds, showers and temps in the low 70's (both dry and wet). :11:

I have been exercising my SB addiction over on the main forums, where a very colorful pack of posts debated the use of the last 500 psi in your tank. Coincidentally, I had an on-topic encounter after a whale hunt / deep reef exploration scooter dive off Wailea Beach. :14:

With just under 600 psi I crossed paths with a pair of manta rays, and one humored me with a slow game of photo tag (dwindling scooter battery). I shot 20 raw ray images with my trusty but slow 5050, the last manta shot ~300 psi. Finished up with the turtle I couldn't get in the next to last manta shot. As with a previous solo scooter post, I am not recommending anybody without serious water skills attempt anything similar! :no

By the time I got back on-line the most entertaining of those previously mentioned threads was closed for cleaning, and I refrained from stirring up the water in tank thread. For what it's worth, I was using a steel 100 cft (~10 cft @ 300 psi) and had more than enough air left to dry my Oceanic dust (water) cap. :eyebrow:

P10100982.jpg

P1010111.jpg

P1010113.jpg

P10101141.jpg

Twelve shots in all at the gallery linked below (so-so images on an overcast day).
halemano : photos : Under 500 psi- powered by SmugMug

No, Thank you! You are too nice, as always!

Nice shots, but how can you think of taking pictures with less then 500 psi? I have been there a few times, but under controlled environments. 10' of water at a beach, just to see what it feels like to suck the last breath out of a tank. Training scenario looking at my gauge at 100 psi while holding onto my buddies BCD, and trying to get out of Haunauma Bay.

Aloha Halemano
Sometimes you just have to get the shot. Did the same type of thing to get some manta shots at the Sea tiger wreck. I was just glad I had a good buddy for backup.
Aloha
Turtleguy9

Thank you for posting the thread, for awhile I was afraid diving went the way of handguns on Maui.

We've all run below 500 (or 100) but usually such cool critters don't show up. Where were the photos taken?

Steve - Thanks for the link. It was a very interesting read indeed.
Those are great manta shots, by the way.

We've all run below 500 (or 100) but usually such cool critters don't show up. Where were the photos taken?

Al, the photo session happened in ~20' deep water just off the Four Seasons. The reef under the last manta shot is the shallow inner portion of Wailea Point, the turtle shot is straight out from Wailea Beach Park.

Nice shots, but how can you think of taking pictures with less then 500 psi? I have been there a few times, but under controlled environments. 10' of water at a beach, just to see what it feels like to suck the last breath out of a tank. Training scenario looking at my gauge at 100 psi while holding onto my buddies BCD, and trying to get out of Haunauma Bay.

Daiika, 300 psi in that tank is very similar to 500 psi in a 63 cft, and with a running scooter between my legs the only effort involved is holding the camera out in front for 10 minutes. The tank is 7.25# empty and my 12# belt / 5mm full suit (new) makes me a little negative with no air in my BC, but I am a pretty strong swimmer.

That SPG is new to me and I like to know what it reads when I get the first restricted breath. From the 300 psi mark I was basically paralleling the beach 12-15' deep on a flat and glassy day; comparatively controlled conditions. In a triple failure (OOA, dead scooter battery & punctured BC) I could probably stay on the surface by just dropping my belt.

Back
Top Bottom