Help stop shark finning!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BUGBAGGER

Contributor
Reaction score
The message below is not my own but participation by anyone will be greatly appreciated!

Shark Finning Ban!

Aloha All,

The bill banning shark finning and shark fin possession/sale in Hawaii is being heard by the state House Judiciary Committee this Tuesday, March 30, at 2:30 PM. This is the last hearing before decision making or final passage by the legislature so your support is crucial.
Submit Testimony online BEFORE Monday at 2:30 PM:

Go to: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/emailtestimony
1) Enter: SB2169; Click "Get Latest Hearing"
2) Verify that you've entered the correct bill - it should read:
Committee: JUD
Room: 325
Hearing Date: 3/30/2010 2:30:00 PM
3) Enter your name and email address (phone number and address not required)
4) Scroll down to "Testifier Position" and Click "Support"
5) Scroll down to "Will you be present..." and Click "No" (unless you're flying over to Oahu!).
6) Add comments if you like, but they're not necessary (see talking points below for suggestions)
7) Click "I understand and agree..."
8) Click "Submit"
That's it!

Talking Points:
  • I support SB 2169, prohibiting the harvest, possession, sale, or distribution of a shark or shark parts unless landed whole and harvested under a commercial marine license and prohibiting the possession or sale of shark fins. Shark finning involves catching a shark, slicing off its fins, and discarding the shark (often still alive) at sea. Shark finning is wasteful and disrespectful to some families, and it should stop.
  • Sharks are essential for healthy marine ecosystems.

Link to the bill/text: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2010/bills/SB2169_HD2_.pdf

Thank you for helping Hawaii's sharks!!
For the Fishes,
Rene
www.FortheFishes.org

Last edited:
Signed it as well, thanks to Gabe. I noticed the bill's not enacted until 2050 though?? Am I misunderstanding something about our efficient and well understood political system? :)

Wow, as a scientist I am totally ashamed of the academics at the U of Hawaii. Its considerably more difficult to study the natural progression of a species and its life cycle when it is either artificially being decimated or extinct. Way to go Hawaii :depressed:

I'm very sorry I did not see this sooner. I did not get a chance to send my support for this bill.

My wife and I have been coming to Maui almost every year since 1995. My first thought when I read that the legislature did not pass this measure is that this year may be my last visit,(we already have reservations to come in July).

I actually saw the movie Sharkwater at the Maui Ocean Center a couple of years ago. I find it hard to believe that we as a species allow this practice to continue.

It would be very sad not to come and visit, I have gone out with Shaka Doug several times over the last several years, been out with B&B, Maui Dive shop etc.
I have had some awesome experience's, diving for the first time with my two oldest sons, taking my brother-in-law on his first warm water dives.

Mike

The Bill may not be completely dead. Most importantly if we send our thoughts and concerns they may be considered for a rewrite of the Bill that would not adversely effect research while hopefully banning shark finning.

Please look for the more recent post in this forum for an email address to which to send your thoughts.

Thanks for everyones concern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom