Am I prepared?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehweg

Reaction score
I got my SSI Open Water Certification and Nitrox certification while in college four years ago. And unfortunantly, I haven't been out diving since that summer. I have my BC/air tube and Regulator being tuned and maintainced this week and plan to take the Scuba Skills Refresher course before I leave for Hawaii next week. Will this be a sufficient refresher for the dive shops on Oahu to take me out? I really don't want to spend my time there taking classes if possible.
Thanks for any knowledge you may have.

Aloha Jviehweg,

First of all, smart move to do the refresher! :D

When you did your diving back then how did you feel? if you were comfortable in the water then I'm pretty sure that you should do well now. Let your DM/Guide know that you are rusty and they'll keep an eye on you.

Most dives are fairly easy as all you have to do is follow the guide and your guide will be there for you. When you go out, in most cases, you will do a deep wreck dive and then a shallow reef dive. The average depth of our wrecks range from 60 (top of shallowest wreck) to 120' (bottom at deepest wreck). At the YO we often have ripping currents and it makes you work a bit - but if you follow instructions it's doable.
The reefs should also be no problem for you.

If you wind up doing some shore dives you may have a bit of work getting to the water (depending on the site). Otherwise also doable.

Good luck, hope you have fun!

Aloha,
Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom