Kona Shore Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladycute1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Folks....

Well, the glow from my last trip to Maui has started to wear off and I'm planning my next trip.

We will be going to Kona at the beginning of July and I am looking for some suggestions.

I prefer shore dives and I am having trouble finding operators or guides. Last year I connected with a small company called Torpedo Tours. I will probably dive with them again, but I would like to mix it up a little. Can any one suggest a good contact for shore diving in Kona?

Thanks in advance.

Liz

Jack's Dive Locker in Kailua-Kona is an excellent shop to try. Jack's is located right next door to the Hard Rock Cafe. One of my favorite shore dives is at 4 Mile Marker, right on the main drag South of town. There are more dive shops around town and it isn't too difficult to locate them.

Jack's has an EXCELLENT Manta Ray Identification Certification that I will be taking on my next trip there.

You GOTTA do the Manta Ray Night Dive with Jack's also!!
The Mantas have been a bit scarce as of late, but we motored up the coast to Garden Eel Cove (just off of the airport) and had a FANTASTIC twilight dive and an AWESOME night dive with the rays.

Whatever you do, just ENJOY.....the Kona Coast has some of the BEST diving in Hawaii!!

Hi there,

Mike and Nikki at Torpedo Tours do a good job. If you'd like to mix it up with other shore dive operators check into Mara's Dive, Ocean Eco Tours or Wanna Dive. The Links page at http://www.wanna-dive-kona.com has links to pretty much all the dive ops in the Kailua area.

have fun

Hi there,

Mike and Nikki at Torpedo Tours do a good job. If you'd like to mix it up with other shore dive operators check into Mara's Dive, Ocean Eco Tours or Wanna Dive. The Links page at http://www.wanna-dive-kona.com has links to pretty much all the dive ops in the Kailua area.

have fun

Search for Dick Driesie (spelling) book and/or website called "Let's Go Shore Diving"; he's a Kona local and it's about his favorite sites, perhaps 2 dozen, although some are so-so and similar to others .

I lived there a few years back and found the book quite helpful; I'm taking family there in December and getting several certified, from 74yo mother-in-law to 12yo granddaughter. I plan to get latest copy and use it, but by all means plan on a manta dive and either a boat trip or rent a kayak and paddle to Capt Cook monument.

Jack's is a very good shop and gave a nice map and accurate instructions re shore dives, nite dives to me last time I was there. I followed their advice and did well.

Did boat dives and shore dives. I was not impressed paying over $250 for me and the wife for a boat dive. First dive was 100 yards from the mouth of the marina. Here we were wondering are we going down to Captain Cook...some unaccessable site...really I can see my car in the parking lot. There are tons of dives of the shore, all are close. The bottom drops off fast in Kona, so you will not be motoring 5 miles off shore. Check out this link: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom