Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Anybody else hear the earthquake

Scuba Instructor

_____

Golden Co (usually these days) -- Kihei, Hawaii
    Dives
    200 - 499

Anybody else hear the earthquake

Kris B and I were diving S. Maui yesterday morning and heard some really strange sounds. One was surely the earthquake - a very low pulsating bass that I felt as it passed thru me as much as I could hear it. It was a very bizarre sensation. I thought maybe the navy was testing some new device until heard about the quake. The other noise we heard a few times - maybe 4 or 5. It was a deep bass noise as well - kinda like a foghorn. Maybe a whale call? It sure didn't sound like the normal hi-pitched humpback stuff. Any ideas on that one?

Mark

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    jimbo heard the quake too:
    http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread...27#post2424427

as for the fog-horn sound.. i've heard those too..
    and as confirmed by the boat crew when we surfaced..
    it was a couple of very large adult whales that breached within' few hundred yards.
    we didn't see 'em cuz it was dark and overcast and the viz was less than 50ft..
    but it sounded like they were right on top of us..
    so loud, my rib-cage was vibrating =O
    ".. onward and downward.." --

Hoser/English Translator, eh

Has not set a "status"

I was just packing up the car...didn't hear or feel a thing...then I heard the "emergency broadcast network" announce the quake and that there was no tsunami.
    Sooner or later you're going to realize, just as I did, there's a difference between knowing the path...and walking it. - Morpheus

Once you start down the Dark Path (DIR), forever will it dominate your destiny - Yoda

the deco stop
    Save the Tree Octopus

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    I was told that on the B&B boat they heard what sounded like the boat revving it's engine above them, except the boat wasn't near.

Cool stuff huh?
    The beatings will continue until morale improves

Registered

wonders what's the big deal?

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    As cool as it must have been to hear the quake underwater, I'd just as soon not be there when another one hits. Glad it was just a little one though.
    I'm a Zena girl!

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    I was with B&B that morning in the water - thought the boat was coming right overhead like Al said - but nothing there... Others noted how all the fish instantly schooled together into a tight, nervous group.

Been a fun week of diving though

Aloha, Tim
    "Duty is ours, consequences are Gods" J.Q. Adams
    ----------------------------

http://www.alohashoredivers.com

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Well I think under is the place for me, don’t rattle me like being on the surface does. This one knocked a co-worker’s washer and water heater plumbing connections off. I was South of Kona diving 2 Step. Heard an odd loud noise but didn’t bother either my buddy or I enough to mention it later. Only after hearing there was a nice sized quake.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.
    Well, maybe except for fun. Keep in mind, my word choice reflects only my thoughts and opinions and I don't see any reason to not have fun just because something is serious.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I was diving with Fathom Five off of Kauai when we heard a noise about the time of the quake. It seemed to last about 5 seconds, and sounded like the engines of a large boat above. Or, I should say ship as there seemed to be a strong feeling of vibration as if a cruise ship was passing above. Although there was not the sound of a ship approaching and departing, just a sudden an immediate loud engine sounding noise. The dive master looked all around trying see where the noise was coming from. On the boat, the dive master asked the captain about the noise, and if a boat came by, but I don't recall his reply. It was later when I realized that it must have been the quake.
    Steve