Big Island Diving (driving to hilo after dives)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inked_diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy,
I am moving to Hilo. Scuba Instructor, but my main pay is in mental health....Hilo is chearper, lol. My main question is: Can you dive Kona and then drive back to Hilo in the same day? I know the distance isnt far, but I am more concerned about altitude? Any information will be most welcome! Especially love to hear from those east island dive bums that make it work. Thanks so much in advance
Edward

I get up to 880m elevation using Google earth on the highway (northern route) to Hilo just east of Waimea, and can remember signs indicating 2000 ft elevation on my drive from Kona to Hilo. This was the main highway, not the saddle road.

Either way you go, Saddle road or the southern route, you'll go over 2,000 feet. The latest recommendation is to wait a minimum of 12 hours after one dive or 18 hours after repetitive diving before ascending above 2,000. Of course, as a certified diver and an adult...you can do what you want with the recommendations...but they're pretty sound.

Also, you mentioned that Hilo isn't that far...with traffic like it is these days, it takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours minimum. That would make for a very long day. I think you'd get tired of it pretty quickly.

Not trying to discourage you...just trying to be realistic.

cuddlefish:
Either way you go, Saddle road or the southern route, you'll go over 2,000 feet. The latest recommendation is to wait a minimum of 12 hours after one dive or 18 hours after repetitive diving before ascending above 2,000. Of course, as a certified diver and an adult...you can do what you want with the recommendations...but they're pretty sound.

Also, you mentioned that Hilo isn't that far...with traffic like it is these days, it takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours minimum. That would make for a very long day. I think you'd get tired of it pretty quickly.

Not trying to discourage you...just trying to be realistic.

Just what cuddlefish said......expect a very long day indeed. Mileage your close, speed is way way slower here, lucky if you get over 45-50.....when the road is clear. Get a nice local or tourist in front expect 20-25. :)

I remember when we came here on vacation years ago and were staying down in Captain Cook. We decided to head to the volcano in a leisurely fashion one morning as it was only 80-90 miles away, figuring we could pull over every time we saw something interesting and still make it in 3 hours or so... I think we made it to Milolii by afternoon. Turns out it can take two and a half to three hours to go 90 miles here if you don't stop at all.

The northern route is technically the route with the lowest elevation, but as mentioned earlier it's still above recommended altitudes, not that that stops a lot of people.

thanks for the info!
I know its not the best, but if you have lemons, you make lemon aide! I current drive 3 hours regularly to dive, and the conditions are nearly as nice....will have think about the road elevation hazzard.....thats sorta sucks. I think i know a few instructors that commute, but maybe my info is wrong? I dont really plan on teaching at Kona....hope maybe to get affiliate with a shop in the east side. I know diving isnt the best, but hailing from the pacific NW, I am used to less than optimal viz....so I am sure I will love it. I would really appreciate anymore personal accounts, or local introductions! thanks again
edward

We had a dsive instructor on the island who did a series of dives with very normal profiles, then drove to her boyfriend's house 26 miles away (reaching an elevation of 1,600 ft) and got bent. She no longer dives.

I have dove in Kona and drove back to Hilo in the same day. I didn't notice any effects on my body whatsoever. They call me superman sometimes, I fought off a gobie one time and lived. So driving up above the recommended alt. should be okay, just watch your bottom time-off gas-HYDRATE YOURSELF-and eat healthy meal after.

Just use your best discretion. BTW the diving here in Hilo is prime when its sunny.

well.. from this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=173341

DocVikingo:
..here are the guidelines I use:

Required Surface Interval Before Ascent to Altitude after Diving
http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/AscentToAltitudeTable.pdf

Be aware the Repetitive Group Designator letters are based on the NOAA tables
http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/NoDecoAirTable.pdf

Regards,
DocVikingo

from the above NOAA tables.. i ran several "two-dive" scenarios..
and easily ended up in a repetitive group designator of J or K..
which require a surface interval of 3 or 4.5 hours, respectively, before ascent to 2000 feet..

just something to think about next time..

HawaiiDM:
I have dove in Kona and drove back to Hilo in the same day. I didn't notice any effects on my body whatsoever. They call me superman sometimes, I fought off a gobie one time and lived. So driving up above the recommended alt. should be okay, just watch your bottom time-off gas-HYDRATE YOURSELF-and eat healthy meal after.

Just use your best discretion. BTW the diving here in Hilo is prime when its sunny.

Nobody calls you superman superstroke!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom