Cave diving in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinegarbiscuit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm seeking information about cave diving in Hawaii. Having obtained cavern/basic cave certification in January 2009, I want to build experience before furthering my education. Traveling to Akumal/northern FL is relatively costlier and more time-consuming than when I lived in the Northeast, so I'm casting about for options closer to my [new] home! I've heard that cave diving exists in Hawaii (especially on the Big Island?), but despite combing various forums, I've found very little on the subject - hence my post here. Any information about reputable local cave instructors/guides would be gratefully received.

I'm seeking information about cave diving in Hawaii. Having obtained cavern/basic cave certification in January 2009, I want to build experience before furthering my education. Traveling to Akumal/northern FL is relatively costlier and more time-consuming than when I lived in the Northeast, so I'm casting about for options closer to my [new] home! I've heard that cave diving exists in Hawaii (especially on the Big Island?), but despite combing various forums, I've found very little on the subject - hence my post here. Any information about reputable local cave instructors/guides would be gratefully received.

Since the Hawaiian Island are volcanic I wouldn't expect more than a few lava tubes but I am a Haole so what do I know.

Reputedly there is one tube at shark's cove that goes way back towards shore and under the road. I guess it has killed people before, but again, that is hearsay.

A scuba instructor friend of mine has dove in a lava tube at Shark's Cove and could hear cars passing overhead. And, yes, a few have died back in there in the 80's.

Three Room Cave is probably as close to a cave as you'll get in Kona. It's pretty far south...in the Kona Paradise area.

That area is riddled with lava caverns and caves. And yes, the back room at 3 Room Cave constitutes "full cave". It needs a permanent line (and doesn't have one).

And, yes, there are fresh water caves on the Big Island. Not easy to get to, not commonly dove, not deep, not long, but they exist. Someone has even bothered to install permanent line in one (though I don't think that the line placement is optimal).

Yeah Gerard, I wanted to go dive that back room of Three Room Cave with Chuck and Keith a while back. . .
(So btw what happened to Dive Tek and what are those guys doing now???)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom