Dolphin treat!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Today we were diving Reef's End at Molokini and were treated to a close encounter with 5 Bottlenose Dolphins!! Four adults and a juvenile, with one of the adults and the juvenile coming to within 25 feet of us for a fantastic experience! Although we've seen dolphins at the surface before, we've never been so close. :)

Wonder what tomorrow will bring.....

It's a magical experience, isn't it? We were fortunate enough to drop into a small pod off Rangiroa, and they hung around and made aerobatic passes by us for about five minutes, before deciding we were really rather dull. Amazing creatures -- what I would give for their grace and power in the water!

I've experienced encounters with dolphins a few times, but every time again it is a wonderful experience. It is like they are radiating peace. It stays in my mind for weeks. And reminds me of the importance of protecting the oceans.

Sounds like a great dive!

One of my more magical dives was a group of dolphins that came up within 5 feet or less for about 5 seconds at a safety stop. Came swimming up at high speed. Stopped had a look around - decided we were not very interesting :D and swam off, again at high speed. Have no idea how many there were they were moving so fast. Managed to get one blurred picture - autofocus just could not keep up!

Am also thinking of Hawaii as a dive vacation so would welcome any response to Robin's question.

thanks

We do all of our boat diving with Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures in Kihei. Today was another great day of diving, and although we didn't see any dolphins, we did see Eagle Rays and Sharks, as well as the cutest Pom Pom Crab and a Hawaiian Spotted Flatworm, another first for us. Of course we saw a lot more than just those things, but they were the highlights.

DiveMaven, we had the same experience yesterday on the big island, off Kona. We had the dolphins with us for almost the whole dive. It's so wonderful, isn't it?

Awesome!!! So who are you diving with?
We are once again thinking of Hawaii... just not sure if we should return to Kona (we were there in 2007), or try Maui.

robin

DiveMaven, we had the same experience yesterday on the big island, off Kona. We had the dolphins with us for almost the whole dive. It's so wonderful, isn't it?
I dive at a wonderful beach here, about twenty miles south of Kona, there are dolphins with us at least half the mornings. We also see billfish, tuna, wahoo, turtles, and a tiger shark; and this time of year Humpback Whales.

I dive at a wonderful beach here, about twenty miles south of Kona, there are dolphins with us at least half the mornings. We also see billfish, tuna, wahoo, turtles, and a tiger shark; and this time of year Humpback Whales.

Ok so you just made my mind up, I am wanting to do a trip to one of the other Islands, would it be ok to PM you?

I did a boat dive with Lahinia Dive shop at Lani in november, we got to see several dolphins on that dive. Cant wait to go back to Maui in March. Also trying to move there in the next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom