Maui trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjhansman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I managed to squeeze in a few dives during my recent holiday to Maui. Weather was great the entire trip, and most of the diving was as well. :D

Spent a couple days diving south Maui with Doug Corbin (aka Shaka Doug) and had a great time! Lots of laughs, turtles galore, and an excellent refresher for my kids. I would highly recommend Doug and his Scuba Bus to anybody visiting Maui and looking to do some shore diving.

Spent a day with Ed Robinson’s Dive Adventures…..which, inspite of the ideal weather and wind conditions, was definitely not money well spent. I wanted to dive Molokini,and ended up doing just one incredibly BORING dive at the deep reef, before heading to something called Landing Craft. No idea why we didn’t dive Reef’s End or the Back Wall, but nobody on the boat was consulted. Neither dive was anything close to being an “adventure”.

And I managed to get to both Lana’i and Moloka’i with Lahaina Divers. Beautiful weather, great dive crews, very close attention to safety, allowed to dive our own computers,and no rush at all. I will definitely be diving with them again.

1st Cathedral at Lana’i

img1968i.jpg

One of the inhabitants of Sgt. Major Reef at Lana’i

img1942qo.jpg

How was the Moloka'i dive ?. I went to Maui in november and did 2 dive trips with Lahaina divers and they were great. Going back in march and want to do Moloka'i with them. Did you see any hammerheads.

Unfortunately only one hammerhead on this trip. However, the Fish Rain dive site was great! It's classed as a drift dive, but doesn't compare (in speed) to some of the freight trains I've been on in Cozumel.

I'll be diving Moloka'i with Lahaina Divers again :D

Glad you liked Lahaina divers!!! We had a great time with them as well as Doug. We missed out on the Molokai trip last time, but will get it for sure next tme. Sorry Ed Robinsons didnt work out, however, it saves me from making the same mistake this summer. We want to do reefs' end, or shark ledges and would be bummed with just three expensive reef dives on an 'adventure' trip. We missed you in Coz, but managed to have some fun anyhow!

Tom and Alyssa

Dang Phil, I'm so sorry you didn't have a good time with ERDA (Ed Robinson's). While on the other boat the same day (the 3-tank charter) we were treated to 3 Eagle Rays and 4-5 sharks just on our first dive alone. Later dives that day brought us a pleathera of nudibranchs, including one we've never seen before, a Frog Fish, a couple of Dwarf Morays, and many fish and eels. Dang, wish you had been on our boat. :(

It's funny how the charter you describe you had with ERDA exactly describes our charter last month to Lanai with Lahaina Divers. We literally had an underwater tour that showed us nearly nothing...except 3 Bandit Angel Fish. :wink: It just goes to show that dive sites are unpredictable and change so much from day to day, and one bad day won't stop us from returning to dive with Lahaina Divers.

Regardless, it is always irritating to pay for a charter and be disappointed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom