looking for recommendation in Kauai (Hawaii)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

badgerfan

New
Reaction score
We are PADI certified and making a trip to Kauai for the first time in mid February 2012. My daughter is 11 and recently certified but doing her first open water ocean dive in Kauai. We are looking for a shop with a good reputation where they take out smaller groups with service in mind.

We would like to avoid volume type operations (cattle boats)

Any special considerations for diving in hawaii(kauai) current, conditions in Feb, etc are appreciated ..my first consideration is to try to have my daughter have a positive experience..

Thanks in Advance

Dan

The north side is likely to be blown out still in Feb. (big waves) so if you're staying around Princeville plan to drive down to the Poipu Beach area to dive. I recommend SeaSport Divers in Poipu (actually Koloa) as I've dove with them, others recommend Fathom Five equally. SeaSport provides a DM for every 7 divers and further groups by experience level. Also they dive with about 1/2 the divers their boats are rated for. Fathom Five has a fleet of six-packs so that dictates their groups will be small.

Sheraton Caverns is a fairly shallow beginner to intermediate dive with lots of big turtles. You'll probably go there with either operator as it's the signature Kauai dive. Nukomoi Point might be another good site for her also.

My wife and I got certified by fathom 5 in koloa landing. Very easy to get to,easy parking, easy walk into the ocean and plenty of turtles underwater. Highly recommended.

Yes, the north shore is cool with all the lava tube swim troughs, but only accessible during the summer months.

What's the usual cutoff for north side diving (in other words, what's the definition of "summer" for this purpose)?

We're going in September (see my post below) and I'm hoping we'll still be able to do summer season dives - including Ni’ihau. Thanks.

Not sure when the north shore becomes too wild. Send an email to fathom5@fathomfive.com and I am sure they will answer. Please note that some shops do not dive the north shore at all. Probably because it is too much of a drive from the south of the island where all the tourists are. But the north shore is worth at least one visit.

What's the usual cutoff for north side diving (in other words, what's the definition of "summer" for this purpose)?

We're going in September (see my post below) and I'm hoping we'll still be able to do summer season dives - including Ni’ihau. Thanks.
Seasport advertises early May to late September for Niihau - near the bottom under schedule/prices: Niihau

Back
Top Bottom