Local Diver lost for 13 hours off the North Shore of Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just saw that on the KGMB website. He was pretty lucky. First stop was here to see if there is any more info. I'd like to know more details about the dive (rec/tec, did he have a scooter like it sounds in the report), what safety devices he had, and what was/wasn't effective.

Same here lonebrave...hope someone chimes in soon.

This answers my question in another thread regarding whether divers ever get swept away by currents. This guy actually had a scooter and still got swept 2 miles off shore!

This answers my question in another thread regarding whether divers ever get swept away by currents. This guy actually had a scooter and still got swept 2 miles off shore!
We don't know where he started from, yet. He was diving from a boat, according to the report, so he may have started some distance off shore.

um, they said nothing about a boat, he was supposed to meet back at a fishing buoy.because they speak on the coast guard recommending dive floats and dive flags, its a pretty good guess that they were shore diving. and he had a scooter. lucky guy, but I feel like there are a lot of questions left unanswered.

OK, I have a question...the "transmitter" they showed looks a whole lot like one of the new Nautilus radios. There is some discussion elsewhere on the Board about them. Anyone else see it and believe that is what it is? Can anyone verify? If so, is the company going to do any analysis as to why there may have been failure (if in fact, there was)? Or was that use simply outside the specs, if it was a Nautilus?

OK, I have a question...the "transmitter" they showed looks a whole lot like one of the new Nautilus radios. There is some discussion elsewhere on the Board about them. Anyone else see it and believe that is what it is? Can anyone verify? If so, is the company going to do any analysis as to why there may have been failure (if in fact, there was)? Or was that use simply outside the specs, if it was a Nautilus?

More info is definitely needed, because that WAS a Nautilus Lifeline that was shown in the video.

If the story is accurate, it needs to be determined what failed--the emergency beacon function, or did the unit totally fail?

Was it not charged?

If there was NO failure, why did no one apparently recieve the signal that allegedly is being broadcast on a marine frequency and locate the diver sooner?

Questions, questions....

Back
Top Bottom