Kauai June 10-17: Looking for sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarnett51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ill be in Kaui this summer and would like to see some sharks. I have been told that The Tunnels is a good place for white tips. I'm a lake diver from Arkansas so I'm more interested in ocean life than anything else. Any advice?

I went in December 2010 and the Tunnels were inaccessible due to huge surf- in fact we only snorkeled a couple times on the entire North side due to surf. I think its better in the summer for accessing the North shore. We dove on a boat out of Poipu (south) and saw a couple of white tips resting under the large slabs of rock.

The north shore will just be getting good from what I hear. Which dive company did you use?

The north shore/Tunnels will be fine in summer. Fathom Five/Ocean Quest guides up there. There's whitetips in the caverns. You'll want a guide...

I also saw whitetips on the south side. It must have been at FastLanes - diving with SeaSport Divers. Sheraton Caverns is the signature dive in that area.

Are you Advanced? Good on small boats in rougher water? Go to Ni'ihau and dive Vertical Awareness...google it for some videos. There's galapagos, white tip and reef sharks spotted there often.

there seem to always be at least one at fast lanes, have usually seen them at icebox and amber arch as well, but you will for sure see them at niihau

I was going to skip Niihai BC of time restraint. I'm going with my wife and she doesn't dive so I didn't want too be gone all day. HOWEVER, I keep hearing that it is truly world class diving. I hate to be so close and not go so I'm reconsidering!

Niihau great? That's an understatement!!!! If you want sharks and overall amazing diving it is not to be missed! In almost 20 years of diving throughout Hawaii I think it is the best that the state has to offer. It's simply off the charts! First and foremost it is an opportunity to dive with one of the most critically endangered marine mammals in the world - the Hawaiian Monk Seal! That in itself makes the trip worth it. If you want the chance to see sharks it's simply a great spot. I've seen whitetips, grays, galapagos, sandbar, blacktip, hammerhead and tiger sharks there (and a couple whale sharks if you count those guys). Gray and whitetip sharks are seen with the most regularity.

The trip also often includes manta and eagle rays, spinner dolphins, occasional pelagic game fish such as ono and ahi (wahoo and tuna). The small stuff there is amazing as well. Octopus, eels, ghost shrimp, lobsters, pipefish, many endemic fish species etc. If you go on the larger vessel you're likely to see amazing mammals in the channel as well i.e. false killer whales, melonhead whales, pilot whales etc...

If you stay on the south shore for local charter you will want to go in the am for your best shot at seeing sharks. Sites such as Turtle Bluffs, Fast Lanes, Zac's Pocket, Toilet Bowl, and General store are frequented by the whitetips in particular.

PM me if you have any specific questions. Though I work for SeaSports I am happy to get you contact info or just general info on the other dive shops as well. Fathom Five and Kauai down under in particular.

Have a great day
A

Back
Top Bottom