1st Visit to the Big Island - Diving/Snorkeling Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickeyf413

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm taking my wife to Hawaii for our 25th anniversary for a week mid April we'll be staying at the Marriott in Waikoloa and I have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can help me out with

We want to do the Manta night dive/snorkel (my hasn't been diving in 20 years)
For me what other must dive sites are there on that side of the island?
For my wife are there any must do sites for snorkeling on that side of the island?
Also can anyone recommend a good dive operation that caters to underwater photographers or at least don't frown upon them?

One last question what topside things are must do/see? The volcano national park, observatory?

We had planned on doing this for our 20th but had to cancel because of work so we're very excited about getting a second chance so any help would be greatly appreciated.

What Gabe posted^...my buddy just did the night dive with Kona Diving last summer and filmed almost the entire dive. Their boat leaves from the marina just north of Kona - their offices are in town. Probably about 20 miles from Waikoloa - basically the same distance you'll travel from the airport when you arrive. The Hilton uses Oceansports: Scuba Diving Kona, Big Island, Hawaii IDK anything about them. Otherwise I think most of the diveops are based in Kona.

One dive we're wanting to do next time is Pelagic Magic - Pelagic Magic Black Water Night Dive : Jack's Diving Locker

One interesting snorkel is at Kahaluu state beach - a few miles south of Kona. There's a lot of tropical fish, lots of turtles there and it's only about 7-10' deep for a long way out. Kahaluu Beach Park Snorkeling Secrets! The Complete Guide to Big Island Snorkeling!

I liked Volcanoes Nat'l park. And it wasn't erupting much at the time. Now it's supposed to be more active. Current eruption status is here: Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park - Kilauea Volcano Status (U.S. National Park Service) No-fly rules apply after diving as it's at elevation. Likewise if you go up Mauna Kea to the observatory. If you can it's kind of eerie to go to some of the places where the lava flow has destroyed houses - or roads etc. I don't think it's currently falling into the ocean but that's pretty dramatic. Also dangerous due to the toxic gases that get released. It might be better to do that by boat if it is when you're there.

You might enjoy some aspect of the Dolphin Encounter at the Hilton. We just watched them from the dock one afternoon. But we weren't guests.

I think you're also there at the tail end of the Whale watching season. Kona's worth a look around - maybe dinner one night.

You might like Akaka Falls also but it would be a long drive from Waikoloa. Akaka Falls State Park, Hawaii, the Big Island | GoHawaii.com
Everybody seems to like the Black Sand beach also but it would be a really long drive from Waikoloa. Punaluu Black Sand Beach, Hawaii, the Big Island | GoHawaii.com

You can also do the volcano and black sand beach from Kona by helicopter. They also fly over areas inaccessible from the ground. And get really close to some of the taller waterfalls. It's $200-400pp depending on trip duration and where they fly. Book online to save 10%. We used Blue Hawaiian - on Maui not Hawaii though. They have an advantage of flying out of a heliport in Waikoloa.

There are several good to great shore dives within minutes of Waikoloa. I would suggest anything in the Puako area, starting with End-of-Road. The site features good diving and snorkeling. A-Bay is right there at Waikoloa, decent snorkeling (not great) but too shallow for diving.

Blue Wilderness has a shop in the Waikoloa Queen's shops, they can rent gear and provide air. You need to call ahead for tanks as the compressor is not on-site. Kohala Divers is ten minutes drive up the road. They can do tanks and fills for drop-ins. We stopped in for some rental tanks there this weekend as ours are in for hydro. Both BW and KD run boats on the Kohala Coast, much closer than driving down to Honokohau, both can accommodate snorkelers, most of the dive site work for either, but neither currently offer a night manta dive.

We stayed at Outrigger Resort next to Kahaluu, and I guess I had gotten spoiled by snorkeling at Captain Cook's monument and the Place of Refuge since I felt Kahaluu didn't bring much to the party besides seeing a lot of turtles up close and personal (one swam near me when I entered the water, and another past me while I was snorkeling in the water). Although the weather was not great, the vis was a good 25 feet or more with particles in the water column. When it starting clearing up, the beach was very crowded and we didn't go back.

Considering traveling the island. My wife and I did it in one day, but I wish I had two due to all the stops that we starting making.

Do the two tank Manta dive with Kona Dive Company, they stop at a snorker/dive friendly site for the first dive, then move to the Manta sight when the sun goes down. They do a good job of making snorklers feel welcome, and they have someone on the boat there to cater just to the snorklers. Another benifit is that they really cater to photo bugs, and move slow. As for a good dive/snorkel spot that is a must do, go to the "Place of Refuge" for a shore dive. If you like to take pictures, you will not run out of subjects.

Last edited:
I agree with Kona Diving. I have been out with them 2 twice and I have never seen a better operation. You will love Katie and her manta talk.

Back
Top Bottom