water temp comparison to cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Winterpeg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
do i need a new wetsuit? i know comfort level is highly individual, so i am hoping for someone who has dived in both cozumel and hawaii, who can tell me if they would wear the same wetsuit in both locations or not. i did search the forum for this, but answers vary so much from person to person.
i have done most of my diving in the caribbean, esp coz, and am now planning a trip to hawaii this fall (oct/nov):D. i only own one wetsuit, it's a 3/2 mm (3 mm full body and legs, 2 mm sleeves). it's fine for coz, where water temps have been mid-high 70's when i was there. occas i was still chilly and added a hood.
will this suit do for hawaii (we will be diving from kailua-kona, in case it matters)? or should i go a bit warmer and get a 5 mm? or would i need to pack both? (hopefully not because of weight)
wow it's great to be back posting on scubaboard - haven't done any diving for a while:depressed:

I need more exposure protection in Hawai'i than in Cozumel. The 3/2 with a hood would be what you would need at least. If you don't want to spring for a full new wet suit, a hooded vest along with the 3/2 might be perfect.

thanks, 76-77 degrees is much the same as coz, but i had heard that the pacific is a bit colder. i wanted to hear an opinion from someone who has been to both. it's not so much the $$, just that i want to have the right gear without overpacking. the vest sounds like it might be a good option for versatility. except my arms might be cold. i wish i had bought a full 3 mm suit instead of a 3/2.

thanks, 76-77 degrees is much the same as coz, but i had heard that the pacific is a bit colder. i wanted to hear an opinion from someone who has been to both. it's not so much the $$, just that i want to have the right gear without overpacking. the vest sounds like it might be a good option for versatility. except my arms might be cold. i wish i had bought a full 3 mm suit instead of a 3/2.

76-77 is about 3 or 4 degrees colder than in Cozumel. I have dived in both. In the winter in Coz, I wear a 5mm full suit and 3 mm hooded vest . In Hawaii I wore a 5 mm suit and was freezing when I came up and that was before I was pulling the bottom times I now do.

I didn't mention that you should plan to having something to keep warm topside as well. Although it might be sunny and warm when you're in Hawaii, there can be trade winds that make it feel pretty chilly during the SIs. I've also never heard of anyone being TOO warm, so taking a little extra won't hurt.

76-77 is about 3 or 4 degrees colder than in Cozumel. I have dived in both. In the winter in Coz, I wear a 5mm full suit and 3 mm hooded vest . In Hawaii I wore a 5 mm suit and was freezing when I came up and that was before I was pulling the bottom times I now do.

when we were in coz (3 times - nov/feb/mar) we had water temps as low as 76. every time we went there was bad weather, north winds, etc. just unlucky i guess.
people vary a lot - that's why i am interested in asking how individuals compare the two locales. you are the second reply to recommend more protection in hawaii. i think i will get something more - not sure about just adding a vest vs a thicker suit. will check with my LDS.
thanks

I didn't mention that you should plan to having something to keep warm topside as well. Although it might be sunny and warm when you're in Hawaii, there can be trade winds that make it feel pretty chilly during the SIs. I've also never heard of anyone being TOO warm, so taking a little extra won't hurt.

thanks, i learned that on my first dive trip. i have a hooded windbreaker for the boat. good advice anywhere!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom