Water Temperatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelan-pelan

Contributor
Reaction score
What are the water temperatures like in October and November - and where are the warmest waters? And what are the sea conditions like at the warmest places in October and November?

I'm starting to "learn" about Hawaii with a view to visiting in 2013. Thanks for all the information already here on the thread - but couldn't find temperatures.

Dive heaven for us is critters. Dive hell is cold water.

Hello
I have been there 4 times in the last year and a half. Every time it's been 75 to 77 degrees.

Thanks Steve. Whereabouts were you diving and what were the sea conditions like?

Anyone got any more tips about where warmest, calmest is to be found in October and November?

Hawaiian water temperatures are pretty consistent island to island since they sit in the middle of the Pacific ocean. As such, temperatures are rarely warmer than 79 degrees or colder than 70 degrees. Warmest water is September, coldest is probably late April. So October or November will likely be 76-78 degrees, depending on when you'd be there during that time frame. When we were on Maui last Thanksgiving, the water was pretty consistently 75-76 degrees.

Water conditions will depend on swells, storms, and weather. We've had everything from lake-like conditions at the start of a trip, and stormy by the end...and at all different times of the year.

Kona is generally 79/80 from late August 'til the northwest swells start up in late November to early December. We've seen 81/82 in the fall a couple times over the years, but it's not that common. Last year it more or less stayed about about 78 all summer and fall, but that seems rare as well. I think in general the water temp drops a tad as you head north and west to the other islands.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to main Ohana forum

All my diving has been on Maui, I am looking to move there soon. Shore dives that are great are Mckenna landing, Black Rock, Kapalua bay. All are prtty easy dives but alot of stuff to see. Conditions have most always been very good, accept for one day when there was a storm. Depth max at around 40'. Great diving.

My 5 mm full suit and hooded vest make for toasty diving up to 4 dives per day. I wouldn't go any other way. I too like being relatively warm.

Best, Craig

B&B scuba post a daily dive log on their website including water temps, dive sites, and what critters were spotted.

Thanks. This is all useful and will help plan our visit for next year. Any more comments about places and local conditions would make this a useful resource.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom