great shore diving trip to Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDebbie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just typed a long, detailed review and was timed out and lost it... grrrr....
We just got back yesterday from a week, (5 days of shore diving), in Maui. It was an awesome trip.
We stayed at the Napili Sores, which is a nice low key condo complex in a pretty, quiet area. We requested, and got, a ground floor unit which was great for gear drying. It did however make for a lot of driving, and it was slow south of Lahaina most days. We didn't mind the driving, but it did eat up some time.

We used Maui Dreams in Kihei for our tank & weight rental. They were fantastic! So friendly, helpful and professional. Mostly we spoke with Jay, Sara and Rachel, who gave us great tips on dive sites and even had site maps to show us. Between dives when we exchanged tanks we would discuss what we saw and they'd help us identify things we were unsure about. We'd absolutely recommend them.
Sara, if you read this, we found the frog fish thanks to your detailed directions, and juvenile wrasse trying to look like debris. That's exactly what he looks like! We made our own signal for it.... let our body go all loose and limp and dirft to and fro like debris... lol.

We dove Ulua, Wailea, Black Rock, Old Airport Beach and Makena, some of these 2 or 3 times. The conditions weren't great the times we wanted to do Kapalua or Honolua, so we spent more time south. They were all great sites, but Makena was our fav. There we saw the 2 white tip sharks in the first cave, including Grumpy (who wasn't at all) with his hook, tons of turtles in and put of the caves, (sadly the many with tumours there), frog fish, and we did the bubble cave where we had a conversation in the air pocket. We also saw more turtles at other sites, eels (including one that I was corrected that it wasn't a sea snake but rather a rare eel at Airport Beach), too many other things to mention, and often heard whales under water.
Some days it got rough later in the morning or early afternoon, with the winds and surf picking up. For example, at Wailea we went in to calm waters and surfaced to high winds and surf and the red flag flying. So a couple days at the end we were only able to do one dive per day. We didn't even do the touristy stuff like Hana or Haleakala this time. We concentrated on the shore diving and it kept us busy. We didn't even boat dive. It was just too short. Next time I hope we can go with more time to spend :)

Glad you had a good time. Sorry about the traffic, it has become very annoying. Notsure if it is because of an influx in cars or because all the road work going on. Old Airport Beach is a great dive on the westside, but personally I prefer the south beaches. Ulua and Makenna my favs.

WOW, great to hear you guys had a blast. Makena is my favorite also. I'm looking at condos now for antoher trip back soon.

Aloha Steve.Have you checked out Nona Lani Cottages in Kihei? They are right across South Kihei Road in north Kihei.They look real nice and reviews seem to be okay.

The conditions were very good and it was just nice, easy, long, shallow dives with lots to see... and for a turtle lover like me, it never disappoints! :wink: We love diving Maui. I quite like the freedom of shore diving too.... being able to dive where you want, when you want, and for how long you want. Surprisingly, we came across few divers under water.

There was a bit of a current to fight at Black Rock heading out, but then it was a nice little drift coming back. The viz was incredible on the south side of the rock - crystal clear. Instead of walking the beach back to the path, we dove along the beach in about 6 feet. lol. Ulua was great. We could easily do more dives there. Wailea surprised us. People don't talk about it as much, so I wasn't expecting too much, but the reef is quite extensive and goes a long way out. When we surfaced there was a snorkel boat out there and I think we were just about there. Airport Beach is such a good standby. Nice easy access and parking and the first reef right there. We went out to the second reef too and managed to get to about 45 feet. But Makena and the sharks in the cave.... that’s a diving highlight for sure! :)
We’ll be back to do more shore diving, but will also do some boat diving again.

hey Shaka Doug - Do you drive the scuba bus? When we passed it near Makena Landing we wondered if it was you?

You hit most of the best sites. Next time add two others. First, Mala Pier, just North of Lahaina. Guaranteed white tip reef sharks, tons of turtles, fun swim throughs, and lots of bottom time on this shallow site. The second, Olawalu, South of Lahaina a few miles. Probbaly the best snorkel site on the islad and the most colorful coral. A bit of a surface swim out to the face of the reef , and then its a great dive.
DivemasterDennis

You hit most of the best sites. Next time add two others. First, Mala Pier, just North of Lahaina. Guaranteed white tip reef sharks, tons of turtles, fun swim throughs, and lots of bottom time on this shallow site. The second, Olawalu, South of Lahaina a few miles. Probbaly the best snorkel site on the islad and the most colorful coral. A bit of a surface swim out to the face of the reef , and then its a great dive.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks for the tips! I've done Mala before, and it yes, it was a good dive. Where do you go in? ...the ramp? to the right of it? We saw people climbing over the rocks to directly under the pier, but that looked awfully shallow! Is Olawalu mile marker 14? We were told there's a bit of a sand channel there (right by the sign that warns of sharks... Really? There are sharks in the ocean? LOL). We've dove south of there at Coral Gardens and it was also a really good dive (went way out!)
We also didn't do Kapalua this time, or Honolua or Slaughterhouse... and we were told White Rock beach is good... I guess we'll just have to do them next time. I must say I was sad to come up on the last dive. I could poke around down there forever.

So excited to go back to Maui again in June and also our first visit to the Big Island. Wooo-hooo! Is it too soon to start packing? My DD is getting her Jr C-Card !

Back
Top Bottom