Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Growths on turtles in Maui?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24

Growths on turtles in Maui?

I saw a turtle with a growth around its eye during a dive and it kept trying to scratch it with its flipper. Someone told me that these are caused by pollution? If so, what type of pullatants cause this?

Registered

wonders what's the big deal?

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    They are called fibropapillomas, likely caused by the herpes-type virus. Research shows that some turtles recover, but I've heard that if the tumors are really bad and the turtles can be caught, they're taken to Oahu to have them removed.
    I'm a Zena girl!

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    http://wildhawaii.org/marinelife/turtles.html

Below is a quote from the above website. I heard pollution also but I suspect that's more people with an agenda speaking about it.

Unfortunately, honu (greens) are suffering from a disease called fibropapillomatosis. This herpes-family virus causes the growth of white to blackish, cauliflower-like tumors. These grow on the soft tissues of the turtle’s body, internally and externally, and inhibit foraging, breathing, mobility and digestion. It is unclear what causes this disease, but research is ongoing worldwide to find a cure.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves

Registered

is happy he took dive lessons
    30 years ago!!!

Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
    Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    A LOT of turtles I see here have it. Some really bad! Very sad sight to see. Only one turtle got rescued, sent to Oahu, had surgery and was returned to the wild. One lucky one that got named "Hearty" (short for Heartbreak). Most are left to die a slow, starvation style death.

"I'll make shore diving on Maui 'Fun, Easy & Safe' for you & your loved ones!" Click Here! ~~ PS: I have an iPhone App now..."iShaka"!! Get it today & Help a Fellow Diver out!

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

Dive Master

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    There should be someone here locally like at the ocean center that could help these poor guys out. Ot is terrible seeing them. I saw one this weekend inthe bubble cave just bumbing up against a rock because he was blind. I would volunteer to help if someone could do something. I wonder if that one they helped went on without any further issues?
    Greg Walker

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    There is a great model for a turtle hospital in the Florida Keys in Marathon. Sadly it takes money, not a lot of that around these days.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    Hi Al, Long time no see ;-), I did my SSI certification with you at Rogue Scuba in 2004. I am back in The Netherlands but will be traveling to Kuai, Hawaii in july. Do you have any favorite spots to go diving there or a dive company you know there? For an image of me go to Govert van Ginkel - Bridging spaces and you may remember my face! Cheers, Govert

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Heck I don't need a photo Govert. Of course I remember you. You were a very easy student and fun to train. I'm sorry but I've never dove on Kauai. I'm sure you'll get some opinions on it here though. I'm glad you kept diving.