Kona vs. Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frontiernurse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know Kona is totally different from Roatan and they are both great and I've been to both of them before and this post is a desperate cry for help in deciding where to go in January. I already know where to stay and who to dive with. I just CAN'T decide between Kona and Roatan.

I'm gonna post this in both the Bay Islands and the Hawai'i forums. Help me decide! Please!!! Tell me your stories, your preferences, your reasons for choosing one over the other... (I already love them both).

I appreciate your totally free and loose and un-fettered opinions! Or abuse.

xo

I know Kona is totally different from Roatan and they are both great and I've been to both of them before and this post is a desperate cry for help in deciding where to go in January. I already know where to stay and who to dive with. I just CAN'T decide between Kona and Roatan.

I'm gonna post this in both the Bay Islands and the Hawai'i forums. Help me decide! Please!!! Tell me your stories, your preferences, your reasons for choosing one over the other... (I already love them both).

I appreciate your totally free and loose and un-fettered opinions! Or abuse.

xo

I have about 100 dives in Utila (the island next to Roatan), did some dives in Roatan, and I live on the Big Island. It really depends what you are looking to see and what experiences you want. If you live in San Fran it is probably going to cost you a little more to get to Roatan than to Hawai'i. Roatan has more soft coral and the reefs are a little healthier. That being said you also get some cool reef sharks! I dove Cara a Cara in Roatan, it was pretty awesome.

Kona is going to be safer, everything is in English so easier to understand. We have recently been getting a lot of Tiger Shark sightings (depends whether or not you like sharks). And of course there is the fact that there is a lot of other stuff to do here on Hawai'i. Volcanoes National Park is awesome, the Mauna Kea observatory, fresh local beer at the Kona Brewery (after diving of course!), zip lining and so on.

Let me end with this. This was the video I took about 1.5 weeks ago in Kona (watch in HD). FYI there were 28 of them on this dive! :wink:
[video=youtube;XPjgTxzEEoM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPjgTxzEEoM[/video]

Holy Crap that's a lot of Mantas!! I've been on that dive twice. First time zero Mantas. Second time 2 - which I thought was great! They did that dive bomb thing where you have to kinda duck so they don't hit you in the head. But WOW! Also, I dive with Kerry/Katie et al at KDC. Are they not the best? They are the best. This is leaning me towards Kona. I'm going to check the Roatan responses now.

As far as diving Roatan is concerned, like many places you have to know where to go to get the best diving. The diving on the south shore & east end of Roatan is much better than in the West End/West Bay area in our opinion, and we do liveaboard charters in all of the Bay Islands including Roatan, Cayos Cochinos, etc. Unlike Kona there is not much in the way of large marine life, this is not where you come to see that. However, we were diving just 2 days ago right off French Cay Harbor & the fish life was incredible, at times totally surrounding us. The whale sharks were here for the past month & have been sighted daily off both the south & north shores & Utila has even more of them than Roatan. Unfortunately they won't be here in Jan, wrong time of year.

The reefs are very healthy and the coral off the south shore of Roatan is outstanding, dramatic walls full of color that plunge from 30 feet to over 140, with overhangs, swim throughs, canyons and chimneys. Roatan's reputation is built on the vibrancy of its coral reefs & they are the main reason divers come here, but again you need to get off the beaten track away from where most divers go. It's also important to go to dive sites at the right time of day, in general you want mornings on the south side & afternoons on the north, no light equals no color. If you would like to see some examples take a look at the photos on our Facebook page, we are far from professional photographers but they will give you an idea of what we dive in daily.

With regard to cost there are few places in Central America or the Caribbean where the diving is as affordable as the Bay Islands. From what I have seen, Roatan & Utila have the lowest cost per boat dive anywhere in the Caribbean, and possibly all of North & Central America. You should be able to find great deals on accommodation & diving packages, which would offset any higher airfare costs. Roatan also has a huge variety of things to do on shore when you're not diving. A great place to look for deals & info about Roatan & Utila dive shops, hotels etc. is actually on Facebook, many of the resorts & dive operators, especially the smaller ones, primarily use Facebook to communicate and do not keep their websites very current. The Facebook pages however are often current right up to that day.

The island is beautiful & once you get away from the touristy western end much of it is untouched. There is a mixture of cultures that is quite fascinating and areas like Port Royal, Henry Morgan's old stronghold, are full of great history as well as terrific diving on pristine reefs. The biggest challenge our guests face is trying to balance diving with sailing, exploring, relaxing, and taking part in the many activities available. Even with all that, many people come here for a week & leave with no idea that 2/3 of the island is still undeveloped jungle and once you leave the tourist zone in the West End of the island you can spend days exploring the East End of the island, where much of the area does not even have roads & is only accessible by boat. The locals commute from village to village through channels cut through the mangroves, it is a complete contrast to the modern resorts of the West End of the island.

You mention that you already know which dive operator to go with here, which is great that you have found someone that you like. My only question is which area of the island are they located in? If you are only diving the West End of the island you are missing all the best diving.

If you take a look at our website Zeppelin Dive & Sail | Roatan Live Aboard Sailing & Diving Charters it will give you a good starting place for information about Roatan & all the island has to offer. Even if you have no interest in our services please feel free to contact us with any questions about Roatan & the Bay Islands at zeppelinsail@gmail.com. We are more than happy to help anyone with questions about the area. Good luck with your decision & if we can help with any questions about Roatan & the Bay Islands just let us know!

I just CAN'T decide between Kona and Roatan.

I've been to neither, so I'll speak of a more 'social/psychological' side. If I were going with my wife & my favorite dive buddy, I'd think...

1.) I like to dive, dive, dive.

2.) Wife likes to do a few dives, and do other things. This could create pressure on me to miss dives. That is not good. Buddy is likely to try to humor wife. This could create pressure on me to miss dives. Etc...

3.) Hawaii has big cooled lava flows, and while both can be scenic, I've got a sneaking suspicion Hawaii might create more of a pull to go do land-based things. Which could be a problem.

4.) My buddy (shore) dove one of the Hawaiian islands, and told me the water's cool. I'm one of those guys who can skip a wet suit in 75 degree plus, and prefer to do so...in the Caribbean.

Now, if you love land-based activities or are inclined to humor a fellow traveler in this regard, or would wear a wet suit in either location, my concerns may not even be on your radar.

Richard.

Holy Crap that's a lot of Mantas!! I've been on that dive twice. First time zero Mantas. Second time 2 - which I thought was great! They did that dive bomb thing where you have to kinda duck so they don't hit you in the head. But WOW! Also, I dive with Kerry/Katie et al at KDC. Are they not the best? They are the best. This is leaning me towards Kona. I'm going to check the Roatan responses now.

Bummer you had bad luck with the mantas! Yeah Kerry and Katie are awesome! I just ordered my Hollis Prism2 rebreather through them!
Sweet, we'll let me know if you have any other questions! :)

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2013 at 02:19 AM ----------

I've been to neither, so I'll speak of a more 'social/psychological' side. If I were going with my wife & my favorite dive buddy, I'd think...

2.) Wife likes to do a few dives, and do other things. This could create pressure on me to miss dives. That is not good. Buddy is likely to try to humor wife. This could create pressure on me to miss dives. Etc...

3.) Hawaii has big cooled lava flows, and while both can be scenic, I've got a sneaking suspicion Hawaii might create more of a pull to go do land-based things. Which could be a problem.

4.) My buddy (shore) dove one of the Hawaiian islands, and told me the water's cool. I'm one of those guys who can skip a wet suit in 75 degree plus, and prefer to do so...in the Caribbean.

We'll I just got out of my teens and have not even considered getting married anytime soon... but to me, I would think that a happy wife = a happy you :). Having potential land activities isn't necessarily a bad thing. When you arrive and the day before you fly out, you will probably not be diving. Wouldn't you rather check out some cool lava flows or tour a brewery than being stuck in your hotel? :wink:
Also, the water temperature is about the same in Roatan and Kona. Each is about 79-82F. I wear a 3mm sometimes if I am doing a dive for a couple hours. Otherwise, I have a lavacore vest underneath my rash guard and some board shorts...that's good enough for me! :)

The diving is less expensive in Roatan. Good chance the lodging will be as well. Beer is about $2 a bottle. A day of driving around the island is as pretty a sight as most anywhere I've been, including Oahu. Beach and the crystal waters at West Bay just gorgeous.

Apples and Oranges IMO. To me it's impossible to compare the Caribbean with Hawaii. Hawaii is a unique experience that people either seem to really love and appreciate, or don't understand and don't like much.

Since we spend our time on Maui (since we own a place there) and not the Big Island, I don't know how it compares, but in January the Humpback Whales are everywhere. The experience of seeing them topside (often close up), hearing (and feeling) them sing under water, and the rare sighting during a dive are enough to tip the scales for Maui in the winter for me.

Water temperatures might be a bit cooler in Hawaii in January than Roatan, running 75-77 degrees typically, so that might be something to consider. I've never been in Roatan in January, but Belize was 79 degrees in January when we were there, and that's basically the same area.

Agreed that Roatan will be likely be cheaper as well. Hawaii isn't known to be an inexpensive dive destination, but the shore diving is excellent in Hawaii, so you can reduce costs and still dive a lot if you simply rent tanks and walk in the water.

Up until July, I'd done all my other 200 dives in the Caribbean. Totally awesome, and I loved every dive. But, in July we went to Kona for the first time (first time in Pacific at all). My expectations were high, and they were exceeded on every turn. I love shore diving, so I did most of my dives off the Puako shore with a local guide. I wanted to see Nudis, and we saw many on every dive. In thinking about my decision if I had your choice, I'll answer with a picture:

IMG_6732sm.jpg

Wow, such a tough question that I have asked my self many times. I've been to Kona during August and did shore diving, and 5 trips out with KDC, yes they are the very best!!! Best operation I've ever been out with. I have also gone to Roatan in January (CCV) where I did 25 dives in 1 week. As far as cost per dive, its hard to beat Roatan, but I think it can be done with nothing but shore diving in Kona, and in my opinion Shore diving is all that is needed there, unless you want the comraderie of being on the boat. Not saying there aren't great dives that are only accessible by boat. So here is part of my break down.

1. Roatan has warmer water in January, and If I have to wear more then my 2/3 I factor that in.
2. Kona has a lot more variety of larger species, and lava tubes, a big plus for me.
3. Roatan has a lot of awesome macro critters, however so does Kona.
4. At CCV you can get a lot of dives in, however are they as high of quality as Kona?

Ok, I know that didn't help much, and now i'm more confused on where to go myself. :) I think Cozumel in January is calling my name, lol.

Back
Top Bottom