Canadian on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone!

If someone could help me out with some information that would be amazing! I am wondering how would a Canadian Citizen go about working as a dive instructor on Maui? Ive been looking at the specific visa' online and I know that it is possible, a diveshop may sponsor you, i'm curious as to how this could be done. I am very determined to be able to move and work there. I've emailed a couple dive shops but responses haven't come back yet, again if anyone has some information I would love to read it!

Thank you,
Amanda

Happy Diving! :)

Most of the Canadians I've known who have tried it have been unsuccessful. Granted that's only 2 folks, but the dive shops have plenty of US dive instructors to choose from that they don't need the hassle of sponsoring, etc. Be aware that you may not get replies to inquiries since they get them all the time. Everyone always says you have to apply in person and show commitment to live there.

Hopefully I'm wrong and someone has a better response.

Big Island Divers website states that it is owned by Canadians.

Maybe ask there if you are interested in the Big Island.

I am not sure how the immigration laws work but I do agree that obtaining a long term job on Maui does require a commitment. The dive shops here like most businesses do like to know who they are hiring. I do get the feeling that dive shops like women as they seem to offer good customer service which is very important in a resort environment. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would recommend coming to Hawaii and visiting the shops in person to get familiar with everything. Then work with someone who "agrees with you" and figure out the work visa thing from there. I get random resume's all the time from people wanting to work for Shaka Divers. I already have dozens of friends who live here and are DM's or Instructors already who would get first pick before a "newbie". Just saying...

Good luck to you though. Hawaii is a great place to live and dive!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom