Resonable accomodation in Lahaina Maui? *time sensitive*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tzetsin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks, I bought my tickets to Maui before i found a hotel. Now that I'm looking around the interwebs for accommodation I'm finding that the prices are... more than I anticipated.

It looks like 99.9% of what the internet is showing me is resort after resort and 3-500 bucks a night is a bit nutters if you don't care about being in a resort anyway. All I'm looking for is a place to hang my hat between dives. Theres got to be something that resembles this in lahaina... somewhere...

Any help with this in the next couple hours would be fricken awesome!

-Jason

---------- Post added January 10th, 2014 at 11:39 PM ----------

perhaps its cheaper to just stay somewhere else and rent a car?

You can try homeaway.com as well. Sometimes some different listings on it than VRBO.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

There's two cheaper small motels in Lahaina. Lahaina Inn or the Pioneer Inn. Maui Hotel | BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn | Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii
There's also a B&B - The Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast

What's the draw for Lahaina? There's more shore diving near Kihei if the plan is to save money doing that.

There's a few places on vrbo.com in "North" Kihei that might be what you want - a group of older low-rise condo complexes in one area that are across the street from the water near Kaleopopo(sp) Beach. I don't think they go for much over $100/nt. ever since they compete with the mega-condo complexes just a few minutes south that are newer.

Here's the list:
North Kihei Vacation Rentals, Condo Rentals & more in Kihei Hawaii on VRBO - Vacation Rentals by Owner

And a few possibilities:
Kihei Bay Vista Vacation Rentals, Condo Rentals & more in Kihei Hawaii on VRBO - Vacation Rentals by Owner
Kihei Bay Surf Vacation Rentals, Condo Rentals & more in Kihei Hawaii on VRBO - Vacation Rentals by Owner

I'd rent a car and either look there or at one of the megacondo complexes farther south in Kihei. Competition drives the price down in places like that and they're across the street from the beach. Some don't have a view except of the properties in front of them but for you that further brings the price down since most tourists want to see the water. Anything with mountain view, garden view etc. in the title can often be cheaper even in the same complex.

View Kihei on Google Maps - the complexes are named on it. Maui Banyan, Maui Vista or Kihei Akahi all can be under $100 certain times of year. I'd still want a car though - many of the better shore dives are south in Wailea. Although the Kamaole beaches (I-II-III) are all dive sites also. Gonna be crowded though...:D

This time of year nothing is overly reasonable on Maui - it's high season for all the people who can afford to winter there. Including plane loads of your countrymen...lol. It's also Humpback Whale watching season now thru mid-April.

Priced rental cars also? Prepare for another shock...pre-booking with Enterprise or Alamo seems to be our best deal usually. Show up at the rental counter needing a car and you'll pay for it...

This may be useful - bus routes: http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?NID=1310

Last edited:
Try the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. You'd have to take a shuttle to Lahaina, but at least wouldn't have to rent a car.

Thank you all for the continued information. Im going to be getting a car when I get there so ill be able to stay in other places than lahaina. Ill check out those older condos. Im sure ill find something... *hopes! LoL*

The car will help getting the gear around. My camera is a wee bit on the large side too, so wheels makes sense

We stay at Lahaina Beach resort almost everytime we go. Last time it was 699.00 for 7 nights, we book thru VRBO. Nice place right on the beach and your right in Lahaina. I book the condo first then find my airline. Enjoy, you will like the diving.

Another option closer to Lahaina since Kihei is about 45mins. south is the Napili Bay area. Similar older 1-2 story condos but many of them are beachfront. About 10-15mins north. With a car you might find something affordable in some of the smaller complexes along Kaanapali Beach also. I personally don't like that area because all the high rise mega-condos make for crowds/traffic most of the day.

We stay in Kihei, and using VRBO, have been able to find condos in the $600/week range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom