Big island ...suggestion needed for scuba and snorkeling.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello ,
We are going to Hawaii Big Island between March 11th and March 21st. We are flying into Hilo and spending five days. And driving to Kona and spending 5 days and then flying back from Kona to Philadelphia.Haven't booked car and hotel.

I got PADI certified in ow last year in Bonaire and I've done like 25 dives along with the diving group. I'm also a snorkeler. What are the good sites to snorkel on the hilo side of the big island?. I know kona has plenty of sites.
I also need few sites that are kid friendly since my 6yo can snorkel.
The other sites I can go without my family.

Planning to hook up with jacks in kona and rent bcd, reg. Then with them planning in diving for a day. Please recommend what are good snorkel areas in kona area. ... some kid friendly !

Or am I better off driving to kona from day 1? I'm gonna need a one way car rental from hilo to kona.

We also like the other touristy stuff that's usual in Hawaii. ... I'm the only diver in the group.

Please suggest if the lava pools are worth snorkeling.
Give other tips too!
Thx
Kris

We were in Kona last summer getting my oldest son certified. I snorkelled with his younger brother off the boat while he did his check out dives. So most of the snorkelling was done off a boat. We tried snorkelling at black sands beach, but ended up just standing with our faces in the water. The waves there might be tough for a 6 yr old, but there were several turtles present. Black sands beach is on the way to volcano national park and is worth spending a couple of hours there.

manta dive for you is a must.

luau was entertaining and the kids had fun. There are a couple of different ones around.

lodging: I would look into renting a house. We rented a house right across from white sands beach for $229 a day. Comparable in price to many of the hotels, but having the space,kitchen, seperate bedrooms, and washer/dryer were worth it.

book house and luau as early as possible. We booked the house almost a year in advance, and the better luaus will book quickly.

we flew straight in to Kona, so I have no info on Hilo.

I did the BI 2 years ago and going back again this year (I love HI), my son was 3 last time and did some snorkelling, but now that he'll be 5, he's way more independent (with proper floatation) so I'm planning where we can snorkel as well. Not sure if you've been there before, but personally I did not find anything I liked about Hilo, we spent one night there and glad it wasn't longer. Volcanoes National Park was really cool and one of the highlights (40 minutes from Hilo), I would not spend more than 2 days there. Spend your time on the Kona side.

The best snorkelling spots for your 6 year old:
Kohala Coast: Beach 69/Waialea Beach - fairly calm, decent snorkelling
Kohala Coast: Makaiwa Bay - probably the best snorkelling for a 6 year old, easy entry, really great snorkelling, although could get a little deep (15-20 feet), but has shallow spots too.
Kona: Kahalu'u Beach - great shallow water snorkelling

Best spots for you:
Kohala Coast: Kauna'oa Beach - great snorkelling on the right side of the beach, it is rough so not suitable for your 6 year old.
Kona: Honaunau Bay/Place of Refuge - probably the best snorkelling (dolphins), not an easy entry / exit.

I'm posting my video from 2012, mostly for the reason that I've labelled the beaches / sites so you can get a better idea of where to go, my son was 3 here. https://vimeo.com/51416741

We rented a car at Kona airport for $250 for 2 weeks (+ the $150 for snorkelling with the car keys:), not too expensive.

Enjoy!

Thanks all. Looks like hilo side is worth staying maybe two nights from what you'll said. So ok will stay 2 days and can I take a one way rental car to kona?

Can anyone suggest a cheap, best and safe place to stay in hilo? Maybe I'll try hotels. Com or priceline.

We already have bookings in Hilton and meeting other friends in Hilton. ... while in kona.

I'm still nervous about night manta dives. ... Can I see them in day or twilight? How's kona diving compared to Bonaire?
Hopefully jacks will take me with a group.
Thanks all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Aloha! Im an instructor out here in Kona, feel free to PM me with any specific questions!

For the manta night dive… It is the easiest, brightest night dive you will ever do. You will have probably 60+ divers in the water with you (if you're going up to Garden Eel Cove) and you will have snorkelers with lights from above, shining down on you. In reality, it's more like a sic-fi/laser/vegas show down there. You do not need to be an advanced diver for this dive. And you will definitely be watched and lead by a dive guide, on the entire dive. :)

As for Hilo, I'd stay and dive on the Kona Side. The diving in Hilo is tricky, and all done from shore. it's the windward side of the island, so it's a bit more "Guerrilla" diving...

Hope that helps! :) See you soon!

AeRosol and others,
Thanks much.
I paid some fees and changed my flights to arrive and depart from kona ... Will be there March 13-24.

I got ow padi certified last June. Had successful dives...during the certification in Bonaire.

Do u guys think I need a pool refresher course for a couple of days here at home before I go diving with an instructor or master in kona? I need to rent bcd and reg. Will bring my own suit fins mask.

Also my dive boots were absolutely necessity in Bonaire. Will I need them in Big island during scuba and snorkeling?

Pls advice. Thanks. .. Kris

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Also my dive boots were absolutely necessity in Bonaire. Will I need them in Big island during scuba and snorkeling?
Pretty much that's a yes. Although a few sites do have docks. But a couple of the best are Old Airport and Place of Refuge.
View attachment 176801
View attachment 176802
At several sites the lava extends out into the water also. In case you've never been to Hawaii, walking on lava is a lot like walking on coral - it can be pretty sharp. And it gets pretty hot in the sun.

Most sites are shown here: http://shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/index.htm Focus on #'s 6-15, the rest are a long drive from Kona.

Your new plan sounds better, flying in/out of Kona and spending only a couple days at most in Hilo makes sense. Hilo is a closer base for doing the volcano and there's a few other things to see, but I can't see spending much more time there. (You could also look into staying in Volcano.) Kona side is where you want to be for snorkeling/scuba, especially as a new diver, and with a child you want to take snorkeling.

As far your boots, if you do anything from shore there you're going to want boots. But presumably if you have boots and fins, you have open heel fins that fit properly only with your boots - so I doubt going bootless is a viable option anyway.

Aloha!

I go to school at UHH and teach out of the university. The diving is better is Kona but Hilo does have some great sites too. Leileiwi is probably the best Hilo side, I've seen as many as 26 sea turtles on a single dive before. If you are staying in Hilo still, I totally recommend Arnott's lodge Arnott's Lodge (Hilo, Hawaii) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor. I stayed here 2 nights as I was moving into my dorm on campus and it was by far the nicest hostel I have stayed at. Staff was very friendly, super clean room, we had a room to ourselves with kitchen and it was very cheap pricing!

For snorkeling, I recommend Honaunau/City of Refuge. Its really easy, you drive you car literally on the shore and there's quite a lot of free public parking. If it is a busy day I think paid parking is $5. Entry is very easy, there is literally "two steps" you take onto a platform and you're in! You can get by without tobbies (boots) but I recommend them. Hilo side especially, you need tobbies. And yeah as someone mentioned, you have a very good chance of snorkeling with dolphins here!

As everyone is saying, the manta dive is an absolute must! I know Jack's Diving Locker runs a very professional operation. I always go with Kona Diving Company and highly recommend them, they are super friendly and you will have an awesome time with them! Even if you have non-divers, it is still the best night snorkel in the world! You're in luck too because the whales are back! I saw 3 grey whales splashing around and breaching on my last manta dive 2 weeks ago!

For other things to do Volcanoes National Park is great. If you time it right and plan it with your diving, Mauna Kea has a world class observatory and it actually has a lot of snow right now! Just be conscious of elevation when you are on the Big Island. Saddle Road takes you up 6,500 feet and other drives like Waimea go up to 2,500 ft so I recommend you wait a while before driving back or going up to elevation. You can also get a tour of Kona Brewing Company! If you are a coffee connoisseur, there are lots of coffee plantations that will give you a tour (as well as macadamia nuts!). In my time on the island, I haven't found a place better than Kona Mountain Coffee. They're expensive but they have the best coffee I've ever had!!

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions! Aloha!! :)

Back
Top Bottom