Kauai diving at Princeville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be in Kauai in late August and was trying to get in some research regarding dive shops in the Princeville area. The last time I was in Kauai was about 5 years ago and we stayed in the Poipu Beach area. I wasn't certified then and didn't look into any diving options or even snorkeling for that matter.

If memory serves me correct it's almost 45-60 minutes to drive from Poipu to Princeville or vice versa. Only my oldest daughter dives and the rest of the family have no real interest in snorkeling. I would like to stay in the Princeville area and not drive too far but the only dives I could find are the Tunnels beach dives and no dive boats.

Does anyone know of a dive shop close to Princeville and has boat dives? Thanks.

I just got back from Kauai.

There are no dive shops in Princeville. Just the two down south in Poipu\Koloa.

Other operations may have boats - but no consumer shop.

As far as I know, there are no boat dives on the north shore.

A few outfits do guided shore dives at Tunnels.

Ken

Fathom five does shore dives at Tunnels (I was there last August) but I went on their boat dives.

Afaik the only operator diving the North shore via boat is Bubbles Below. However they leave from Port Allen which is farther east than Poipu. Plan on a hour+ drive to Port Allen then a boat ride back to near where you're staying...:D. North Shore Kauai dive sites | Bubbles Below Kauai scuba dive tours
FIRST AND ONLY COMPANY TO OFFER NORTH SHORE BOAT DIVES ONCE AGAIN

Fathom Five/Ocean Quest does Tunnels from shore. Jeanette is supposed to be an expert local guide. They also have a cart to haul tanks - might be a good idea.

My other suggestion might be to contact [user]AquamanKauai[/user] - he knows about Kauai diving having worked there for some years. I believe he works for SeaSport Divers in Poipu. They also have a shop in Kapaa which might be your closest tank rentals. I've seen posts of his where he recommends the competition if they're better suited.

Others you might check - I doubt any of them will be diving the north shore:

Aloha Kai - might be the best chance since they're at the Marriott in Lihue. IDK where their boat is though.
DiveKauai
Garden Isle Divers
ScubaSteve

I will also be visiting the north shore, in less than a week.

I would like to do a couple of unguided shore dives.

Can anyone recommend a site or two that are easy to navigate and that would be good at this time of the year (they don't necessarily need to be on the north shore, but it would be most convenient if they are)?

Some family members who are not divers will probably do some snorkeling. Any suggested sites for that?

Thanks in advance.

Makhno, North shore right now is pretty much no go cause of the swells we've been getting. South shore, shore dive,Koloa Landing will be your best bet.

Makhno, North shore right now is pretty much no go cause of the swells we've been getting. South shore, shore dive,Koloa Landing will be your best bet.

Thanks.

Looks like I'm going to do one shore dive at tunnels. Thanks for the input so far. I'm telling the wife I'm getting most of my diving in on Maui

Has anyone done the shore dive at tunnels? How is it? I plan to be out in Princeville in mid August. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom