Recommendations for Oahu in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaBruin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

I'll be on Oahu the first week of October for a family vacation and staying in Haleiwa. My brother-in-law and I will be the only divers in the group and want to get in a couple of dives while we're there, perhaps a boat dive and some shore dives. I've heard Oahu is not the best island for diving but there still looks like some cool spots and we're easily entertained anyway. I'm hoping some of you in the know might be able make some recommendations for that particular time of year. I'm a brand new diver so that is a consideration as well. I'm planning to have AOW done by the time we go but will still be new nonetheless.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I'm not a local so I probably can't give very good advice on local dive sites and what's best for that time of year.

I was in Oahu last month doing a few day's diving, if you want boat dives you can't walk past Kaimana Divers. It was my first time in Hawaii and Gabe from Kaimana was very accommodating to my requests and where possible went above and beyond what I've come to expect from a dive charter. They only take 6 divers out at a time on their own dive boat the Nacho, it was very spacious with only 6 customers on board. Locally, a boat that size would probably have anywhere up to 12 paying customers on board!!!

Their schedule is relatively flexible and if there's any particular type of diving or sites you want to visit, let them know well in advance and I'm sure they are more than happy to work things out together with you.

I could go on but it'll make me sound like I'm getting paid to make this post :)

I second Gabe at Kaimana divers. Great op! There are some really cool wrecks and reefs to dive here, but not the soft coral that you would normally encounter in the Caribbean.

Hey Gabe, you must be doing something right. :) I'll be in touch when the trip is closer and hopefully you and/or your team can show me and my bro-in-law some of your beautiful underwater world.

I'm hoping to dive at least two days, boat one day and maybe a shore day. My brother-in-law is the only other diver and most likely the only other one interested in diving so the trip will be more family focused than diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom