Help with figuring out where to stay...Big Island in Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhhoback

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I lucked out and my association is doing our 2015 CE on the Big Island at Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel Big Island, Hawaii. Kamuela, HI
:D

This looks to be about 45 min above Kona which seems to be sort of the mecca for diving around here.
Just wondering thoughts on either staying in Kona and commuting up to the conference if we do that what do you all think about the commute is it fairly reasonable?

Or are their recommendations for good dive operators up near the conference location.
I will say that we really want to do the Manta night dive while we are there.

We have lots of time to get this figured out so I thought I would seek out some informed opinions.

Thanks in advance for giving us some ideas.

I don't live in HI but since nobody else has said anything... Hapuna is great for diving. Puako, etc. are good sites! The manta dive is further south in Kona though. The drive isn't too bad. It's a short drive compared to Big Island standards, although long compared to where I live, so I guess it's relative. I think it took me about 45 min or so.

No personal recommendation either way but two in that area are Kohala Divers or Waikoloa Coast Divers. Both have a boat nearby. There's also Ocean Sports - IDK anything about them. Shops that do the Manta dive leave from Honokohau harbor south of the airport so pick one you like. My buddy used/liked Kona Diving Company.

The shore diving in the area (Puako) is great, and the drive to Kona isn't too bad if you're not doing it every day. Definitely do the manta dive!!

The best thing is that although the Big Island wasn't my favorite personally (we are Maui freaks), Hapuna beach and the hotel where you are staying is SPECTACULAR!!! If I ever go back to the Big Island for R n R and am not trying to get on a dive boat every day, (and I can afford it) that property is the bomb!

Have fun!!

Hapuna Beach is a nice, mellow dive. The reefs extend far offshore from the south end of the sandy beach. You could easily drive down to Kailuna-Kona for more diving from shore or boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom