Last minute trip to the Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagirl1957

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ive just found out that Im going to be on a business trip to Big Island at the end of the month (from 25th March) with some free time. Never been before and coming from Europe. Whats the weather and sea temp likely to be, is it a good time to dive Hawaii? Is it worth bringing my own gear or renting and is the Kona coast the best place to dive? Sorry - so many questions ! Thanks guys

Where are you staying? On my way back from Kona.

Highly recommend Kohala Divers if youre north of Kona (IE, Mauna Kea, Mani Lani or similar resorts)

You can do the Manta Night dive and still do business in the morning. Here's why you might want to (not my video):

We liked Kona Diving Company. e-mail or call Kerry (owner) she should get right back to you. Contact Us

Jack's Diving Locker is another popular option. They rent ScubaPro and Aqualung gear.

If you have and want to haul your 3MM, it's what they rent all year. Hawaii water is generally pretty warm. Today it's 77o F. off Kona.
Kailua-Kona Sea Temperature | United States Water Temperatures

The dive operations are either centered around Kona/Kailua - many leave from a harbor just north of there - or farther north as described above.

If you're staying at/near the Hilton, Waikoloa Coast Divers keeps their boat there also. Between Waikoloa and Kona is about a 30-40min. drive usually.

P.S. The Humpback Whales are still there. There's a whole fleet of whale watch boats. Often you'll see them from the dive boats also.

Volcanoes National Park is worth a trip on a non-dive day as it's to elevation. Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park (U.S. National Park Service) Check here before you make the drive - it's pretty far away if you're staying in the Kohala Coast area. What's Going on With the Volcano? - Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Aloha Kona March Weather 2014 - AccuWeather Forecast for HI 96740 Looks like 80's all week.

Last edited:
I agree with diversteve about checking with Kona Diving Company (KDC) and then Jack's Diving Locker. We saw 26 mantas on February 11th when we last did the Manta Night Dive and I love the afternoon dive at Garden Eel Cove as well! The Blackwater Night Dive with Jack's in a really unique experience as well. If you're not up for a night dive, Kerry with KDC is fantastic at finding fascinating creatures of all sizes during the two tank morning dives. I would be cold in a 3 mil suit. I used a 7 mil and was comfortable and my husband wore a 5 mil. I would always bring my own gear if I could!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom