Possibility of regulation of Kona's manta ray dive on front page of West Hawaii Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
An update on the current attempt to regulate the Kona Manta dive made the front page of the West Hawaii Today newspaper.

[img400]http://www.wetrocksdiving.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/manta-front-page-140401.png[/img400]

[img400]http://www.wetrocksdiving.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/vlcsnap-2014-04-01-09h08m44s74.jpg[/img400]

For a summary of the article, links, and more pics, visit here.

I would really like to hear from other Ohana members...... Having done the dive multiple times over the past 8 years:

1) Has it gotten too busy?

2) Do you think a large number of operators/dives impacts the "wow" factor of the dive?

3) What are possible solutions/alternatives?

4) How does the Pelagic dive stack up to the Manta experience?

G

1) Has it gotten too busy?

Yes, its crazy. Way too many divers / snorklers. I was out one night with 42 mantas, and there was no room in the water for everyone.

In fact the operator I went with that night, vowed not to do it anymore, as it was too crowded. I see that they no longer advertise this dive as one of their dive options, so have to admire that.

2) Do you think a large number of operators/dives impacts the "wow" factor of the dive?

I did this dive 10 years ago, and it was a completely different experience. The last experience involved a lengthy process of mooring the boat, getting to the site, and finding space to view the spectacle.

3) What are possible solutions/alternatives?

More than one site? This is after all a Manta experience produced by humans.

Limitation of number of operators allowed to participate each evening?

4) How does the Pelagic dive stack up to the Manta experience?

In my one experience with the Pelagic dive, the Manta experience is far superior.

It was soooo crazy the last time we did it. I was thinking lottery, and then the whole 'free manta snorkel' after the time share pitch has made it absolutely nuts!

A schedule for the dive shops, and a lottery for the snorkels. I liked it better at the Sheraton from a Zodiac with me, my new bride and our DM...aaah, 1993, to be young again.

I did this trip recently. I was in Kailua for a conference, and some colleagues and I went on the manta snorkeling tour. We had a boat just for us, but it meant just snorkeling, no scuba. And we went late in the evening, after all other boats were already gone, and had the site to ourselves. So I can't say whether it's overcrowded or not, but it was absolutely spectacular. Lots of mantas shooting up the light cones, turning just before the surface or even brushing against you. It is a man-made experience (I doubt many mantas swim up light-induced plankton cones in the middle of the night in the wild), but it was extremely impressive, no matter what.

However well intended by those urging regulations all I see is disaster for the local dive ops. I have yet to witness DLNR do anything right in this sort of situation. The kayak rentals and tours at Kealakekua, the harbors at Honokohau and Kawaihae, the disgrace that is Mauna Kea State Park.

I have done the circus at Garden Eel Cove a few times now, it is dynamic, but it seems under control. The dive ops make the rules clear and most folks seem to honor them pretty well. A number of mantas do exhibit signs of injury, all from fishing line! It is a unique experience, one that brings a lot of divers to Kona and pays the bills for quite a few small businesses and divemasters.

I would like to see far clearer justification for regulation before anything is put in place.

Does attracting manta rays into a specific area by using artificial lights and creating huge congregations of plankton for them to eat constitute 'Fish Feeding"? Assuming you call mantas 'fish' of course...

The HIRSA Board of Directors will be working with the DLNR in the process of creating a management plan.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2014 at 11:47 AM ----------

Doug…Manta Rays ARE fish.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2014 at 11:47 AM ----------

Doug…Manta Rays ARE fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom